Saturday, June 28, 2008

1/3...

It's hard to imagine that we are 1/3 of the way through our time at Yellowstone. It has certainly been an interesting experience. Simply having a schedule has reminded me why I've enjoyed being retired. ;-) And working for a big corporation has been eye-opening... we ran our own business for most of our adult lives. When something needed to be done, it got done... no having to "ask permission" and then wait for an answer. That has certainly been frustrating. But, the people we work with in the marina are high caliber. I find it rather amazing that there are that many people willing to work for such a pittance so they can spend the summer in Yellowstone... quality people. Yes, this place is that special.

Yesterday was a first for me: I canceled a trip. When I came in from the first cruise (with my family onboard), I had an ECU failure several hundred yards from the dock... no engine controls on two of the three engines. No steering indicator. I got the boat to the dock, and no one knew. Unfortunately, this happens all too often, and has been most of the season. When I couldn't get one of the engines to restart at the dock, I had to cancel the next trip. I felt bad, because I know this is a highlight for some of our passengers... I really don't want to disappoint anyone. But, my main job is to take care of the passengers. (Sigh)

The mechanics are stymied by this ECU/engine problem. Unfortunately, we haven't taken the next important step: bringing someone qualified from the factory to diagnose and FIX this problem. Too bad, because this is a great boat. This is the type of "corporate" thinking that leaves me shaking my head.

The days are long right now... both in the amount of daylight and the hours we work. In another month, that will take care of itself. In the meantime, my time on the water is very special. Each day is different. I enjoy showing the "heart of Yellowstone" (the lake) to the passengers... some are just out for an activity, others are truly enthralled with the beauty and history that unfolds onboard.

This really is more than just a job for me. I had one of the assistant managers tell me that I care too much. I had to chuckle at that. I told him, "This may be a corporate thing, but you will never make me not care. This place is too special for that." (Sorry about the double negative ;-) )

Yep, I can understand the reasoning of the employees who come back year after year.

No comments: