Monday, June 30, 2008

Goodness, this story gets more like a junior high school saga daily. Today, the young mechanic asked me if I had any failures yesterday or today (you can tell they're right on the ball). I told him, "Yes, two failures on the first run yesterday." He asked what they were and said he was going to change more ECUs around. I told him, "Keep your hands off my boat. You've messed it up enough and I am about to make the boarding call."

He didn't like that and walked off in a snit. It just so happened that I had a new Ranger with me at the time (we were discussing how to coordinate his interpretation with running the boat). I could tell I stepped on the mechanic's toes, so after that run I went to the shop to see what I could do to make things right. He said, "It doesn't matter 'cause you aren't gonna be around here much longer. I called my boss and told him that you swore at me."

Well, that was a flat-out lie. I don't care if I get fired because I stand up for a principle, but I'll be damned if some kid is going to lie his way to getting me canned. Fortunately, there was a witness to the conversation, the new Ranger. He said he would "testify" for me... again I nearly laughed... don't think it'll come to that.

When I finished my shift today, I spoke with the guy who is in charge of "everything that moves" for Xanterra. He listened, told me that they are "doing all they can", and did his best to assure me that this situation will be taken care of "as soon as possible, now that he knows the extent of it." Interesting, since I've been briefing my manager daily and he tells me that he sends the information up the line.

I said, "My manager tells me that he has been relating this to you for a month now. Who's not telling me the straight story - you or him?" After a moment of stammering, he assured me that he "cares" and will stay on this.

I'll bet he'll still respect me in the morning, too. ;-)

Oh well, we have the next three days off... maybe they'll get it all fixed up nice by then? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I really considered leaving this stupid work stuff out of my posts here, but thought there should be a dated public record.

---------------

It was a beautiful morning, then several small thunderstorms in the afternoon. I had to assure a young Ranger onboard that "yes, we will be fine."

"But, there's lightning!"

I told her, "I'm not going to do anything dangerous; we're fine, and we're going to have a good ride." Well, a bit lumpy south of the cell, but an interesting afternoon.

Best wishes,
Jim (boat captain, negotiator, baby-sitter, and truth-seeker)

No comments: