Friday, June 6, 2008

I was wrong...

I thought the snow from this morning would go away...

I was wrong. Well, it kinda disappeared. Then, while out on an afternoon cruise, a snow squall moved in... the viz went down to about 200 feet and the snow was accumulating at over an inch an hour. I'm glad I had my portable chartplotter, 'cause this boat doesn't have much in the way of nav equipment (certainly not what I'm used to on Wild Blue). I was told, "You won't need that GPS; it's a lake. You can't get lost; and besides, the visibility almost never gets so low you can't see."


Yeah, that statement was wrong, too. With an island and some shoals (that I couldn't see) between me and the marina, I was glad I had laid a track on my GPS. It took me around the island, north of the shoals, and right to the opening of the marina. The passengers didn't get to see anything for the last half of the trip. But, I got 'em back, didn't get disoriented, made a nice landing at the dock... and cancelled the last trip because of the snow and low visibility.

Here's what it looked like when we got home...





No comments: