Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Floor Show

We bought a Herculiner kit for the floor of the cargo trailer. It is similar to the Rhino-Liner in our truck, but a D-I-Y kit. Yesterday, I put on the first coat...


It was pretty straight-forward... clean the floor, tape the floor/wall joints, mix the heck out of the Herculiner (to put the rubber "beads" into suspension), do the edges with the brush provided in the kit, then go after it with the roller. With the first coat done, it looked very nice. The Herculiner is lighter and less expensive than a rubber mat or something like the MotoFloor (tiles you pound together) and takes care of what to do with the ramp door. I could have ordered the floor and ramp with the diamond point texture, but it seems that would be slipperier than the Herculiner.

Today, I got up and every muscle in my body ached. No, not sick; it's the after effects of squatting for over two hours while putting on the rubberized Herculiner. And the really bad news: I have to get the final coat done this morning! Other than the pain in my butt and thighs, it went easy... and the second coat REALLY pulls it all together. The floor looks good, seems as tough and textured as the Rhino-Liner in the truck, and didn't add a lot of weight.


On the bright side, it's done. Well, I have to re-install the tie-downs after it is good and dry. And if I were to do something like this on a more regular basis, I'd have Buns of Steel! ;-)

No comments: