Monday, August 24, 2009

You've Got Mail...

This morning, we had breakfast at a nearby Dunkin’ Donuts, then walked to the Post Office a few blocks away. We had mail from Texas and South Dakota sent here. When we got to the customer window, the lady said, “Oh, I know it’s here,” and started looking for our mail. Joan could see it sitting on a shelf and directed her to it. “I can see you’ve done this before,” the lady said to us. Right on time for our traveling.


There’s a reason I’m posting that photo of me holding the mail. We then walked to the grocery store to pick up a few items. When I went back outside to get a cart (OK, we got more than a few items), one of the checkers said to me, “Sir, wait - we have mail to go!” She saw the light blue shirt, dark blue shorts, and me carrying a couple Priority packages and figured I was the mailman.

Back at the boat, Joan went through the mail... I got two more birthday cards... fun surprise.

-----------------------------------------------

Big Cat, Little Cat...

We had a nice time last night at the neighbors. Jim from Snickers (CD-22) came by and invited us to the big sailing catamaran, owned by his friends, Craig and Mary.


It was a nice evening of conversation, stories, laughs, and making new friends. Truth be told, I did have lust in my heart as we walked to the catamaran... it is a beautiful boat. But it lacks the one feature that makes Wild Blue such a perfect match for the cruising we do: trailerability. If we were going to stay in one area or intended to truly live aboard, a bigger boat makes sense... you just can't drag it down the highway to get to the best cruising places when the desire strikes.

And the little cat...


Little Izzy is turning into a great traveling companion. With the time we've spent at some quieter stops, she has gotten back into the swing of walking on the leash... unlike her "moon walking" episode when we met up with Dave & Jan, and Nick & Marcia in Newark. Izzy walked backwards and looked like a skunk about to spray... all the noise freaked her out. While still just a baby, she has added quite a few states to her "been there" list, and will soon add another country.

---------------------------------------------

I got to visit with one of the artists today who did the spectacular mural painting at the city port in Newark. These are so realistic, with great attention paid to the lighting and depth. The guy thanked me for the compliment and told me how he and his partner researched all the little details, like product names and old maps to make it as realistic as possible. It's a delight to see people who take pride in their work and are willing to go the extra mile to produce something special.

No comments: