Monday, March 1, 2010

A Chamber of Commerce Day...


Yep, clear blue skies, light breeze, and temps in the upper 70s - what a beautiful day. The kinda day for a beach walk...


We're at that "in between" time... there are a few schools up north on spring break, but very few this early. The Winter Texans haven't headed north yet (and who could blame 'em?). So, there are a lot more seasoned citizens on the beach than college age kids. That proportion will reverse in another week.

While walking by one group of kids, I noticed 4 of them on the beach watching another 6 of their group in the water. I said to them, "Well, it appears that you are the smart ones in the group... or your friends are REALLY tough - that water is COLD!"

They chuckled and agreed that they are the smart ones. I asked where they were from and they said, "Iowa."

"That's my home state," I said, "Sioux City."

"No way! That's where we go to school!"

"Morningside College?" I asked. When they confirmed that, I told them it was my alma mater. We discussed the school a bit before I continued my walk. Small world. Nice that they are getting some warm weather, considering the winter they've had.

When I got home, I made lunch for Izzy and me (different foods, thanks for asking), and headed out on the boat. The water was nice, but not a dolphin to be seen. I ran out into the Gulf, but it was lumpy out there, so back into the ship channel.

Here's a sign that spring break is nearly here...

That's a banner in the upper left, being pulled by a small airplane. There will be plenty more of those in another week or two, also.

The jetties area is being dredged. No dolphins, but plenty of tugs and a large dredger...



Back home, I took Izzy for a couple walks... this is the kinda day you just don't want to be inside.

She was mesmerized by a group of pelicans that landed in the water next to our boat. I was rinsing down the boat, they assumed there would be some fish parts being tossed their way. They were wrong. I kept Izzy close by in case they decided a small cat might be as tasty as a big fish.



Some time lounging in the sun and burgers on the grill. I could use another 30 or 40 days in a row just like this one.

No comments: