Wednesday, March 3, 2010

eBay


I guess I'm a bit of a dinosaur. Over the years, I've bought a few things on eBay, but never tried to sell anything. Yesterday, I drug out that box of stuff labled "stuff for eBay" and figured out how to post it all. We've been moving that box from up north to storage to our little house... an odd collection of "treasures" that we know quite what to do with. So, there it is for the whole world to look at and bid on... or not. I looked at similar items (who knew there were hundreds and hundreds of Harley-Davidson belt buckles trying to find new homes??) before posting mine, but didn't see a lot of bidding happening. Maybe it all happens in the last few seconds?

It all took more time than I first imagined. Since I no longer have a studio, I took the items out on the deck for the natural light. Then it takes time to work up each image. Then you have to come up with some copy to try to get a buyer interested. I was surprised by the number of offerings that came across as terse... maybe I just don't have experience with dealing with online auctions. We were always NICE to our customers. Then you have to figure out postage. Will people really pay $4 postage on an item that sells for $3.99?

No, I'm not looking to make a living selling stuff on eBay, but one can only say, "Yeah, I'll get around to that," so many times before that box of stuff becomes an issue. So, anyone wanna buy some belt buckles, or Harley Owners Group pins and patches, or a bunch of other stuff? I sure hope so. ;-)


Now, I have to wait a week. Oh, and answer questions. Like "What size is the buckle?" or "Was it made in the US?" I could respond with, "It's a freakin' buckle - it's big enough to fit on a belt. Who knows where this thing was made? I'm just selling it, I didn't make it." But, instead I wrote, "It's 3 3/4 x 2 3/4 and was made in Denver, CO, in the good ol' USA, © 1983. Thanks for looking and happy bidding."

Little Izzy enjoyed spending time out on the deck with me while I was shooting the photos. It was a cool, windy day, but sunny. Now that I have all this done, I'm going to head out on the boat. I'll take my computer and wireless broadband... just in case.

Happy bidding!

No comments: