Friday, June 18, 2010

We Be Connected...

One of my chores for the day was to pick up mail. We received the Wilson Sleek cell/wireless booster. Goodness what a difference! I am getting about 10 times the speed with the internet connection and we can actually make and receive phone calls! With no real ground plane like on a car, I stuck the magnetic antenna to a cookie sheet and the wireless signal went from about a half of a wussy bar to three to four good solid bars. From dial up speeds to over 400k download. OK, that still not blazing, but it is a very impressive improvement.

Checking the phone out in the same cradle gave similar results. It feels good to be able to make a phone call and not ask, "Can you hear me, now?"

One of my other tasks for the day was work related, even though it was a day off. I organized our First Annual Dock Hand Cleat Tying Rodeo. I had the kids run down the dock, untie a line from a cleat, retie that same line, go to the front of the boat, untie and retie, then run back to the starting line. More of an Olympic Event than a rodeo, but when I told them I was paying cash to the winner, they got more interested. They learned that tying a proper cleat knot can be fast AND important. They enjoyed the competition. They started out with a bit of feigned indifference, but when they saw it wasn't so easy, the competition built. I gave them two runs, then we did a "Freestyle" run where they didn't have to tie a proper knot... and they learned that tying it properly STILL was faster. It drove the point home better than just talking to them. We all had fun, they improved their skills, and a couple of them went home with cash in their pockets. No doubt I will have better dock hands when I bring the cruise boat in. Win/win.



It was an absolutely beautiful day in the Tetons - easily the best day, yet. When I was done with my husbandly chores and the dock hand rodeo, I got the motorcycle out. These 45 mph roads are great for a leisurely ride with a spectacular view at every turn. I picked Joan up from work this afternoon and the two of us cruised the roads for a while.

Even though I actually accomplished a bunch today, it was a down right FUN day, too. ;-)

No comments: