Friday, July 9, 2010

Day Off, Part 3...

Joan had to work today, I didn’t. After dropping her off at work, I did laundry, came home, dumped and flushed the holding tank, did the dishes, and vacuumed. I took Izzy for a short walk, then got out the motorcycle.

I headed north towards Yellowstone, with no particular desitnation in mind. The south entrance of Yellowstone is only 23 miles from our place in Colter Bay... and then it’s at least another hour to get anywhere in the park. I decided I had time to drive to Bridge Bay Marina and still make it back in time to pick up Joan from work at 3:30.


I rolled into the marina area about two hours after leaving the coach. I walked around a bit; not much has changed. It’s still a very nice marina. I saw the cruiseboat I used to drive... and it was running! One thing that was very different was the number of commercial fishing boats in the marina. There are two commercial gill-netting operations on-going; the Park Service is trying to eliminate Lake Trout in the lake because they are descimating the Cutthroat Trout. It’s kind of a bad deal for the recreational fishing.


I visited with a C-Dory owner briefly before heading out. When he found out that we own Wild Blue, he said, “Wow, you’re famous!” No, I just post a lot on the owners group website.

Riding south, the sky started to cloud up and the wind came up... just as fast as it happens on the lake. I made it back before the rain came... well, the rain never really came, just a few sprinkles to make even more of a mess with all the pollen still blowing around.

One thing that really stood out for me on this ride: the views in Grand Teton National Park really are more spectacular than the drive in Yellowstone. Certainly, Yellowstone has some amazing diversity, but many of the roads are so wooded on either side that you don't see anything but the trees for miles and miles. That's not the case in the Tetons - you almost always have a great view of the mountains. Of course, I could be biased.

I picked Joan up from work, and we drove up to Leek’s Marina for a pizza. This was her early day, and she was off at 3:30. Neither of us had much lunch because we were “saving” ourselves for this pizza. Yummy! When you live in the boonies, you don't take little treats like this for granted.

No comments: