Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Weather or not...

Weather played a big part in today's cruises... for the first time in a couple months, we had to cancel the breakfast cruise because of weather - wind and rain. By mid-morning, the sky had cleared and it was absolutely beautiful. Then by the sunset cruise, it was very apparent that we were going to get rained on again... the storms were coming over the mountains from the southwest. I pulled out my Droid phone, brought up the Radar Now app, and deviated from the usual route to stay where the weather was best. Oh, we had some rain, but we also had a rainbow... and then a double rainbow. There were sunbeams coming through some of the valleys. It was absolutely spectacular. I jokingly told the passengers that the only thing missing was a unicorn.

For the 3:30 and sunset cruises, I was tossed another curve: my first mate (also the narrator) has laryngitis... and we were out of first mates for the day. I told him that I'd get the boat out of the marina then he could drive... and I would do the narration. Frankly, I'd MUCH rather be driving the boat, but we have to look out for each other. Besides doing the talking, I also had to keep an eye on his boat driving... he may have been the one at the helm, but the safety of the boat is still my responsibility.

I think we both were able to appreciate what each other contributes to making the cruises enjoyable for the guests. We made it work just fine.

As we came back into the marina, the sun came out. Along the way, we had some rain, some wind, some reduced visibility, and some spectacular scenery... lit in very dramatic ways by the play of the light, the clouds, and the mountains. Quite a day.

No comments: