Wednesday, September 8, 2010

GPS on a lake?

Yesterday, on the sunset cruise, I heard a guest say to his wife, "Look, he has a GPS. Who needs GPS on a lake? You can't get lost."

I chuckled to myself. The GPS is my little Nuvi, out of our truck. My portable marine chartplotter gave up the ghost a couple months ago. With no other speed readout on the boat, the GPS gives me that information, so I can stay on schedule. I also have a track laid out, keeping me out of shoal areas and giving me position when the visibility goes down.

While on the way back, I mentioned the comment to the guy. I said, "Take a look around us. We have the Gros Ventre Mountains to the right, the Absarokas to the left, and those beautiful Tetons behind us. It is gorgeous every direction you look. Anyone know the way back to the marina?"

You can't see the lake from the marina bay. You also can't see the marina from the lake. The marina is a great "hidey hole"... wonderful protection. But, we frequently have to do rescues for people who rent our powerboats. Not because they have swamped the boat, but because they can't find the way back to the marina.

Not a single person on the boat could point out the way back to the marina. That's usually the case. Back at the dock, I always step out back to thank the guests for riding with us. I can tell by the smiles that they've enjoyed the trip. The guy who made the GPS comment said, "I drive a bus. I have the GPS on all the time, even on routes I drive regularly. I can sure see why you have that on here. Thanks for a great trip!"

I like to have fun with the guests; it's in my nature. And sometimes we all learn something in the process. I also have a great deal of respect for driving on this lake. The mountains are big enough to create their own weather patterns. The waves can kick up in short order when the wind howls through the mountain canyons. Visibility can change quickly.

Yep, GPS on a lake. Even using established landmarks, information is a good thing.

;-)

No comments: