Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mohawk...

This felt almost like a regular day off. We lounged in. Joan did some laundry, I did some chores around the RV. One thing that was really different: I went down to the marina to turn in my business band radio and my key. We'll turn in uniforms and IDs tomorrow.

Then, it was off to Jackson for pizza and groceries. Having Jackson close by has made this summer easy as far as entertainment and re-supplying. We were going to go up the tram at Teton Village, but the weather turned gray; we decided to scrap that.

We stopped to take some photos of the fall colors along the way - they have really turned in the past week. It is a treat to see those before we leave.

When we got home, I took Izzy for a walk. While strolling through the forest, we came upon a young mule deer. It was laying down. I didn't see it until we were about 15 feet from it, so I didn't make any sudden moves. Izzy didn't see it until it decided to stand up. I wish I had the camera with me... Izzy's eyes got wide and she let out a low growl. I wasn't sure if she was frightened or was crouching into attack mode. And then something I hadn't seen before: the hair on her back stood up... it looked like she had a mohawk! She was ready to take on this HUGE forest creature! I held her leash tight.

The 3 of us stood and watched each other for quite a while. Then, I slowly backed off... Izzy wasn't quite ready to give up. I had to pick her up. As we walked back to the 5th wheel, she kept looking over her shoulder and crouching. Jungle cat.

No comments: