Sunday, November 7, 2010

If you could...

Could you take the results of your lifetime career and cull it down to a space about 4'x4'x4'? And then, further reduce it to one CD? That kinda puts our time on this earth in a different perspective, doesn't it?

Well, 5 years ago when we sold our photography business and retired, I did just that: I kept our family portraits and a collection of my competition prints (the best of my best work) from over the years. I had no idea what I was going to do with those prints, I just knew that I couldn't leave 'em or toss 'em. They represented my finest work. All in a few print cases.

And then there were the family portraits. We had very high ceilings in our house up north, purposefully so we could display large portraits and groupings. I called the hallway leading to our daughter's room "the shrine to Stephanie"... portraits of her growing up. They are beautiful. And the family groupings that took their place of honor above our fireplace; they made me smile each time I looked at them.

These days, people don't exchange photos like they used to... instead, they show each other their photos on their cell phones. That crappy little screen will never have the impact of a beautiful portrait, no matter the size.

Joan has been wanting to "de-clutter." We are considering selling the house, since we spend so little time here. I was able to put off "what to do with the photos" until today. I set up an area on our deck to copy the images... and in a few hours time, I reduced 6 boxes and print cases to one CD. My life's work on a single CD. Kinda makes one feel insignificant.

Not to sound immodest, but when I opened that first print case, I gasped. Now remember, "the best of my best" and in a size appropriate for wall display. These prints are gorgeous. And while we were early adopters of digital technology, most of these prints were from "the olden days" of film. No image manipulation; nice lighting, flattering body positioning, deep rich tones. Damn, I was good! And I hadn't seen these images in over 5 years.

And the family portraits? Most of our portrait clients told us their wall portraits were "priceless." I wonder now if they still have them on display, or if small "digital frames" showing snapshots have taken their place? We even used that in our advertising: A beautiful family portrait isn't expensive... it's priceless!

The photographic industry has changed dramatically since we retired. It seems that much of what photographers display is more about the effect than the lasting quality. Don't get me wrong, Joan and I were both excellent retouchers and very creative with all that digital brought to the table... but, it was also backed with good quality photography. A knowledge of lighting and anatomy. A real desire to be able to show people at their very best. And not having to rely on digital to "fix it later." I told our clients, "If you can imagine it, we can deliver it." But, my favorite work was simple, classic, and flattering.

And I just went through 6 cases of that. From thousands of high school seniors and families. Some magazine covers. Commercial work and even a few weddings. Work that I sold in galleries. And a lifetime of our own family portraits.

All on one CD.

2 comments:

Charlie-Captain's Cat said...

Absolutely beautiful memories. I've got at least 6 boxes but we've moved for the last time [until we go out feet first]. May have an RV again some day, will definitely keep this boat or another. Best wishes for the Blonde, you and IZZY in your next adventure. Please keep up the blog.

Charlie and Sally

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Charlie. Digital has certainly changed how we view our "memory insurance." Watch for a PM on the Brats. Best wishes, Jim.