Monday, December 13, 2010

Things that go crash in the night...

One of my concerns with my Mother's situation is the fact that she is going to have to get up during the night... half asleep, no bright lights... I stress to her how important it is to make sure of her path and surroundings.

Last night there was a crash at 4:00 in the morning. No, not her. It seems the air mattress my sister loaned me for this stay lost some air during the night... I rolled over and the top mattress slipped off the bottom mattress and sent me rolling. Not sure why my sister was so mean as to suggest this air mattress... I think it's been in her garage for a very long time... and it smells like something died on it. Maybe I'll sleep on the floor tonight; it's hard to fall off the floor.

On the bright side, I have Mom's bathtub set up for her with a shower chair, supports, and a hand wand. She is afraid to try it and wanted to wait for the Home Health Care nurse, who may or may not be coming on Tuesday. I finally brought Mom into the bathroom and demonstrated how to get in and out of the tub - safely. When she saw how I set it up with handles and supports, she worked up the courage for a "dry run." We practiced it several times, and I know she can do it. This was the last of our "hurdles" and now it is a matter of getting her established with a daily routine.

It's tough to see that it takes all her energy and determination to get around, but this is better for her than the nursing home. I know she can do this; she just needs to believe that, too.

No comments: