Friday, March 25, 2011

90th birthday...

No, not mine. It's the reason I'm in the frozen northland... and it was 32º when the plane landed late yesterday afternoon. 60% chance of snow today and tonight.

But, today is my Mother's 90th birthday. Tomorrow is the "big soiree"... it started out as a suggestion to have a small open house. Mom got onboard with that and things have expanded... I think I am in charge of the sky writing and ice sculptures. Yeah, I'm kidding... but only slightly. From the sounds of it, the caterer is planning for about 5 times more people than we originally discussed. We've rented a room to hold it in.

Considering that just 3 months ago, she was in a nursing home, rehabilitating from a broken pelvis, she's come a long way. She walks fine and is driving her car again. And that is certainly reason to celebrate.

I gave her the "first copy" of my book. She said it was the best present ever. I have a bit more than that planned, but she is delighted to have "a real book, not that electronic stuff."

I just opened the blinds this morning... oh, look - it's snowing. 30º Swell.

90 years... 90 winters. 90% chance of snow tomorrow.

This morning, Mom said, "I've never had a real birthday party before." Well, it's about time.

No comments: