Friday, April 15, 2011

Hospice...

You can tell from that title that things didn't go as hoped after Mom had that terrible seizure. I have cried endless tears since I got the call that she had the stoke. She has been through a lot in her 90 years, but this thing was too much to overcome. Yesterday, I turned to Hospice services. I can't say enough for their kindness and compassion. I have been right beside Mom through all of this, and the Hospice floor in the hospital has allowed that to continue; she is comfortable and being kept painfree. There is a hide-a-bed in her room, so I can stay right with her. After the noise and commotion of the stroke unit and ICU, this is quiet. It might be a stretch to call it peaceful, but they do all they can here to make it less stressful.

Mom and I discussed this in the past, and I am carrying out her wishes. I will help her through this last ordeal. Hospice allows that to happen with compassion and comfort. They answer questions. The nurses are very special people. Nothing about Mom's life has been easy since she had the stroke last week, but we are on the path to peace.

Thank you for the kind words, phone calls, and private messages. This little 90 year old has a frail outward appearance, but incredible determination and great heart. Her spirit has touched a lot of people, even since the stoke. The concern that family and friends have shown is evidence of how she engaged people. I can't count how many times I've heard people around her say, "She's so sweet," or "Aren't you the spunky one." One of the physical therapists said, "Oh, you're going to make this fun, aren't you?"

Yep, that's my Mom.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Jim and Joan,

We'll be thinking of you. All of our love!

Kristen, Russell,
Captain & Chloe

Unknown said...

What a blessing we find in caretakers. Praying for you all.

Randy & Sharon
2rv4me

Bud said...

We are thinking of y'all and wishing for the best...whichever direction this goes.
Hugs from me and Isy