Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Memorial Service...

Today is the memorial service for my Mother. In typical Iowa/South Dakota fashion, it is cold, rainy, and windy, with a snowy mix.

Three weeks ago, we were gathered for her 90th birthday celebration; I expect to see some of the same friends and family. I have carried out Mom's wishes, and soon the final work will get underway on emptying her apartment. This part has been just as tough, but I am fortunate that my wife and daughter are with me to tackle this.

The circle of life.

3 comments:

Henry Scurlock said...

Jim there is little I can say that you haven't heard from others, but please know that my heart goes out to you. As Gene on TSBB said, some of the toughest moments come when you realize that the routine things aren't going to happen. Like you and your Mom, my Mother and I spoke on the phone every evening and she would also call each morning to leave a message for me. One day last week the phone rang and I didn't answer it, when I checked for voice mail sometime later there was no message, my tears lasted a bit longer that day. I wish I could tell you that the feeling of loss eases but not really, it just gets different as time goes by.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I understand, Henry. We are now in the process of emptying out her apartment, and it is very tough. I am fortunate to have my wife and daughter here to help.

My thanks for your kind words and those of the good folks on the TSBB.

I am already missing those evening phone calls.

Jim

Anonymous said...

Jim and Joan:

We are thinking of you at this sorrowful time and offer our deepest sympathy for your loss.

Sincerely,

Jennie & Grant Lochmiller