Sunday, April 24, 2011

Rolling...

We left Mom's apartment at 7:30 this morning - it was sparkly clean. We put the "Grandma car" on a tow dolly and headed south. A stop in Kansas City to leave off some stuff for my sister, then made it as far as Chanute, Kansas - home of NuWa Industries, the manufacturer of our 5th wheel. We have stayed here several times, but always while towing our 5th wheel, not having to be in a motel. Not quite the same.

Sidebar: I REALLY don't care for motels/hotels any more. But, we have a lot of miles to do and it is going to require a couple motel stays. Some of them don't want little Izzy, others charge extra for this sweet little cat who will have NO impact on their room. We found one in Chanute that only charges $10 extra for a cat. For that price, I told Izzy that it is OK if she craps on the floor, but she is way too classy for that. ;-)

We considered rolling on further, but we are both tired and felt an early night would be good right now. I was hoping that our favorite Mexican restaurant in Chanute would be open, but no. Fortunately, Joan planned ahead and brought food. The motel room has a fridge and microwave. I plan to go to bed real early tonight. About 1,000 miles to go yet to get home.

On the bright side, diesel here in Chanute is $4.19... 20¢ per gallon higher than any place we've come across since we left Iowa. Over $1 per gallon higher than we paid last fall when we came through here.

On the really bright side, we saw some sunshine today for a few hours - the first in over a week.

Not much traffic on the road today; I read that fuel prices would put a crimp in holiday travel. There are only a few cars in the motel parking lot. Hope that's not a sign of things to come for the summer season.

2 comments:

firestock said...

Wow, Jim. I had been looking at the C-Brats semi regularly. However, I lost track of your blog and the Wild Blue postings evidently were not up on the C-Brats when I looked. I missed the truck crash and the passing of your Mom. Tough business. It looks like you handled both w/ the grace and aplumb that has signified your postings over the years. Though we have yet to meet, I feel like I know you. I admire your style, love of life and the way you take it head on.

You have had the toughest on this latest part of life already. Every day from here will be easier in most ways. It was great that you had Joan and Stef there to assist. You already have the secret that humor is the best way through any tough times.

I look forward to the day when we can meet and share a few laughs.

Sam Walker

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thank you for the kind words, Sam. I hope our paths cross, and we can share some stories and laughs.

Best wishes,
Jim