Saturday, May 21, 2011

Lots of snow...


The Love Shack has landed! We had a good hour of driving (no wind, no precip, some actual sunshine), a less than stellar hour of driving (20 mph headwind, occasional spit of rain), and an hour of "clearing the pass", where the snow on the sides of the road was over the top of the truck! shocked What I have been hearing is true - they have WAY more snow here than last year.


Our first view of the Tetons (Mt. Moran in the clouds), coming down the other side of Togwotee Pass...



The good news: we are in our site in the park (they cleared it out with a Bobcat before we got here).



The bad news: we still had to shovel a lot of snow to make room for the slideouts, and to find the water spigot and the sewer. The really bad news: no water at our site for a while. "A while" is an indeterminate time - they are trying to clear the snow around some of the bathrooms in the campground, but it is like concrete; and the plumbers aren't coming out until they can get to every bathroom.

The REALLY bad news: our landing gear motor took a dump, and we are a half-bubble out of level. Go ahead, make the wise crack; you won't be the first. Roll Eyes Hopefully on Monday, I'll be able to call the factory and get some guidance from them. I tried to crank the gear down further with the manual crank... head a big CHUNK cry and I stopped. Oh, and due to the snow at the back of the coach, we can't get our rear stabilizers down... so we have a bit of a spring in our walk, especially at the back of the coach. Wink So much for trying to get the movement out of the coach.

And back to the good news: we are here; and in one piece. Joan has to check in before me, since she's a manager. The lake level is so low that we won't be launching any boats until at least mid-June. I guess I'm fortunate - all indications are they will have other work for me, with getting things set up. They have asked one of the other captains to not check in until late June. I believe this means I will not be putting in killer overtime like last year, so I may have the opportunity to get out more and enjoy some free time. My manager apologized for that... "Yeah, I'll be OK with that," I told him. lipsrsealed

Joan has to check in tomorrow, and starts work on Monday. I will be a "house-husband" until Thursday or Friday. I may get an apron, bake a cake, and have a good meal ready for her when she gets home from a hard day at work. smiley

Got the photos above added after 6:00... the world didn't come to an end. I sure would have been pissed if that last thing I did on this Earth was shovel snow.

No comments: