Thursday, July 21, 2011

I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy...


I think I may have found a new calling... when I'm ready to give up this boat captain thing, I'm going to get me a cowboy hat, a scarf, and round me up some doogies... and play my guitar. You may know that I was raised on rhythm & blues and rock 'n roll... country western music isn't my thing. Oh, I've mellowed over the years and certainly enjoy Jimmy Buffett... and my darling daughter is quick to point out that he has a country flavor (she bought me the Buffett CD where he does a lot of duets with country stars).

But, last night, Joan took me to the Bar J Chuckwagon for my fake birthday (the real day was a workday, this was the nearest day off)...


The Bar J is a meal and entertainment experience. The food is decent, but they do manage to serve over 750 people in less than 20 minutes. You sit at large picnic tables, which is also your seating for the cowboy music show. While I'm not a fan of the genre, on their opening acapella number, the tight harmony gave me goosebumps. The singing and musicianship was outstanding.

I wonder how I'd look in a cowboy hat and scarf? ;-)

You get to meet some new people with that type of seating arrangement, and we were seated across from a true local celebrity...


That's me with Delores Mudge; she holds the record for the largest fish ever caught on Jackson Lake (1983 - a 50 pound lake trout). Her name gets mentioned on every one of our scenic cruises. We were sitting across the table from Delores, her husband, daughter and son-in-law.

Of course, we stopped at the marina before heading to Jackson. Here's the obligatory photo (I can't help myself, the place is just so photogenic)...


I had to leave off signs and line up officials for the 2nd Annual Dock Rodeo that we'll be holding this Friday. The dock wranglers and first mates will participate in some fun activities (and show their skills) and compete for prizes.


Gotta run - I'm being fitted for my new cowboy hat this morning. Yippie ki yay, git along little doogie...

4 comments:

Charlie-Captain's Cat said...

Captain Cowboy Jim, they are Dogies, not Doogies! If you're gonna be a real Cowboy, you gotta get it right!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CE8QtwIwBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DgU_c8n_vRoU&ei=pEwoTouyA6j30gH67PzACg&usg=AFQjCNHpNEXyzRUTSkNYnFjn4juUQ_YMsA&sig2=mV8ROiQVJvzg1nZuFP_JCA

Doogie was Doogie Houser (Howser?) of the TV show! (;>).

I may not know the PNW but I know my dogies!!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hahahahaha... right you are, Charlie. Pretty obvious I'm out of my realm of experience, huh? I don't trust horses - no on/off switch, no wheel... plus, when I ride one, I always sound like I'm applauding with my ass! I'm not a fan of country music (seems that a statement like that is almost un-American), but we had a lot of fun last night, and I do appreciate the nice harmonies and musicianship. But, as near as this boat guy can tell, a "dogie" is a cow... so, why don't they just say, "Cow"??? Guess I'll never make it as a cowboy (dogieboy?). ;-)

Best wishes,
Jim

Charlie-Captain's Cat said...

I guess if a horse had "twins", I might have one! As for cows, I eat those guys!! Trying to talk Sally into a vacation at your place next summer! Hope I succeed!

Dirk said...

I think I may have found a new calling... cowboycostume.blogspot.com