Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Cranky...

I've been a bit cranky. I let the "big company" line of thinking get to me for a few days. Joan and I have both worked like this business was ours, meaning we put more heart and effort into the work than most of the management above us. Budget constraints put above doing the job right has never set well with either of us. Hypocrisy - not something I subscribe to. Yesterday, I decided to just laugh at the whole thing and continue to do what I do: give people the best experience possible; continue to build team spirit and lead by example. I considered trying to "care less", but that's not in my nature; sure can't make them care more. But, I can laugh and do my best to make sure my co-workers and the guests get the best we can all give.

This place is special. I truly enjoy being able to share that. The company calls it "the experience of a lifetime"... I like that premise. As I told my darling daughter when she was in college and wanted to work at an amusement park for the summer: "someone has to work hard in order for people to have fun."

--------------------------

Took a long drive today, on land for a change of pace. Over Teton Pass, through some beautiful valleys in Idaho, and into Idaho Falls. We did some shopping, had lunch at our favorite Italian place, and waited for a phone call to tell us that one of our fishing guide boats might be ready to bring back to the marina. The call came, but the boat won't be ready for another week. Not good news for some people who have guided fishing trips booked.

The Snake River runs along much of the route we took; lots of folks fishing. Green fields being irrigated, with mountains in the background. The views here are not as dramatic as those around the Tetons, but very beautiful in a different way. This drive reminds me that I still need to see what's over the next horizon. As beautiful as the Tetons are, I'll be ready to move on when our jobs here are done.

We picked up a new pocket camera today; a little bigger than what I toss in my bag now, but more zoom on both ends. I'll be looking forward to trying it out over the next couple days.

A shot from the old camera on the way to Idaho Falls...

3 comments:

Keith Bennett said...

People ask the difference between a leader and a boss. . . The leader works in the open, and the boss in covert. The leader leads, and the boss drives.
- Theodore Roosevelt

Jim - Keep on leading :)

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Nicely said, Keith - thanks!

USMC John said...

Don't worry Jim, this will be your last year here. Smart money is betting you won't be asked back....