Monday, August 22, 2011

More observations...


Yesterday started out cloudy, with potential precip showing to the southwest on radar. Looking at the track, I could see that it would likely slide to the south of us, and made the decision to go ahead with the breakfast cruise. Early, the sky was lovely...


The clouds built up after that, but breakfast went off fine. The guests were treated to a rainbow over Mt. Moran (and my camera was on the boat).

By the time we arrived back at the marina, the sky was partly cloudy, with plenty of sunshine and blue sky. It stayed warm and precip-free the rest of the day, even though the weather weasels called for a 30% chance for afternoon thunderstorms.

On the afternoon cruise, I came across an interesting sailing catamaran...


I later looked it up on the internet (Cat2Fold) - a 36' sailing cat that is trailerable. Takes a couple hours to "unfold" and set up. Double wishbone type rig, one on each hull. Open bridgedeck area, kinda like the old Mac 36 cat, but this one-of-a-kind boat has a canvas enclosure on that deck. It reminds me a bit of a MaineCat 30, without the hardtop. Interesting.

Also during that trip, we saw a plume of smoke on the horizon (may be a bit tough to see with all the clouds)...


Not that close to us, I'm guessing about 25 miles southeast in the Gros Ventre mountains. It's the first forest fire we've seen from the lake this season.

More stupid boater tricks, mostly the rentals... including one boat where there was a kid standing on the bow of the small skiff, an armada of kayaks and canoes turning/stopping in front of the cruise boat, and one group on a powerboat who got lost, returned late, AND their toddler fell overboard! The results could have been disastrous, but they were indifferent about it... we only found out about the kid falling overboard when I picked up the toddler life jacket that they had and it was soaking wet!

"Was this kid in the water?" I asked. "Intentional or did he fall over?" No one else in the boat was wet. The mother's response, "Yeah, I guess he kinda fell over." I had stayed after my late afternoon cruise to assist with this late/lost boat... it makes my heart hurt when people are so indifferent about the potential dangers on the water, especially with their kids.

When I got home (Joan had to work an hour later than I did), we had a visitor...


Little Izzy was checking it out through the window. When I took her for a walk afterwards, she was pretty leary...


"Didja see the size of that thing???" I assured her that it was just a youngster AND they don't eat cats. ;-)

No comments: