Thursday, August 18, 2011

A taste of home...

We made a trip into Jackson today; weekly grocery shopping foremost on our minds. We also stopped at a watch boutique to get a watch band fitted... Steph and Dan gave me a nice watch for Father's Day that needed the band taken in. I just found the watch place last week and asked the owner if he could make the adjustment when we would be in town next. He did it in just a few minutes and complimented our daugher on her good taste in watches.

Town was just as packed as usual. Still no sign that the season is slowing down. We had lunch at an authentic Mexican restaurant... not the spicy Tex-Mex stuff we occasionally get in the Employee Dining Room. It reminded me of home - a very nice change of pace.

Back to the coach, and a motorcycle ride for me... once again, Joan has to go into work on her day off to close the store. It seems like I was the only one on the road who was aware of the speed limit while riding today - people came up fast behind me, tail-gated, then passed on a double yellow line... one after another.

"Slow down, dumas, you're on vacation!"

And speaking of dumas(es) - the location of our coach gives us a good view for some stupid RV driver tricks. This morning, we watched a guy in a nice diesel coach jump the curb... then slam on the brakes, back up and jump the curb again in reverse, then jam on the brakes again, and slam the transmission into drive and jump the curb yet again! Joan said, "I wonder how many of their dishes are still in the cabinets?" All those moves looked pretty abrupt from the outside.

When I returned from the motorcycle ride, there was a truck blocking the road to our coach. I got around it by riding on the dirt... no one in the driver's seat, a small kid in the passenger seat. In front of the truck was another nice diesel coach who had somehow managed to get the coach into a site facing the wrong direction and was doing some "tree trimming" with the sides of the coach. I might add that there is a sign just before that turn that says, "No vehicles longer than 24 feet." I'm guessing this was about a 36' coach.

I went over to the driver to see if I could be of any help. "No, we are obviously somewhere we shouldn't be. I don't know how this happened."

I'm guessing he didn't pay any attention to the directions the campground folks gave him, made THREE wrong turns, and somehow got a 36' coach turned the wrong direction on a single lane road! Pretty impressive.

His wife came running up about that time... she was the MIA in the truck... apparently, she abandoned it on the road and walked back to the campground gate to see what they should do.

The easy thing would have been to back onto the road and drive out the short distance the wrong way (it's a one way loop). But, nooooooooooo... he proceeded to slam that coach around, doing more tree modifications and then backed the wrong way out!

Bet they're having a fun vacation.

No comments: