Wednesday, September 28, 2011

New tech issue...

There have been some changes to the park wifi here at Hart Ranch since we were here last spring; instead of a bunch of different hotspots scattered throughout the park, only 1 shows up on my computer. Obviously, there have been some issues with that, because there are signs in the office stating that some Mifi cards and wireless broadband cards have been interfering with the park wifi. Everything was working fine on our end until we got a new neighbor yesterday... it's a motorhome with two BIG satellite dishes on top. And since he plugged in, it seems to be interfering with our wifi signal, either from the Droid or the Mifi card. Frustrating.

A trip into town confirmed that it isn't our equipment - everything works perfectly when we get away from the park.

First that we've run into this situation - hope it isn't just the beginning, as people make the move to more mobile internet access.

5 comments:

firestock said...

Hi Jim. Bummer. Did you try taking the MiFi straight to one of your machines? In effect, this would bypass the wifi part and take the cellular signal straight into the computer.

firestock said...

Sam Walker here as firestock. Sorry about the false ID thing. I hate having to sign up just to reply. Anyway, doing what I suggested would at least determine if the interference is w/ the cellular signal or the low power wifi coming from the cellular device to the computer. Any diff if the mifi or Droid is put really close to the computer?

BTW, I haven't told you before, but I am trying to keep up w/ your blog at least once a week and going back to keep current.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Sam,

I did tether the Droid and it works fine. Had some trouble getting the system preference to dump the offending signal, but got it worked out. Just knowing that it wasn't OUR equipment made it easier to keep working on it. Before getting it worked out, I did try both the Droid and Mifi right next to the computer - no difference.

Good to hear from you.

Best wishes,
Jim

firestock said...

Cool. Good stuff to have in my pocket for my next campground visit.

Thanks, I have been lurking here and Tugnuts and C-Brats.

I am mulling a series of questions for you about your publishing and full timing plans. I will PM you when I get them all figured out. Keep up the great work.

Happy travels.

Sam

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Thanks, Sam. Drop me a note anytime.