Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Reading materials...


Before we retired, we had somewhere around 30 magazine subscriptions between us. We started trimming those down in the months before we retired... to where we now receive zero. Both of us satisfy much of our reading cravings via the internet - immediate, current, and no lengthy delay and expense in getting magazines forwarded to wherever we happen to be. Still, there is something to be said for being able to stretch out on the couch, or even the hammock, and lazily read an article.

Last night, Captain Ron (the real one I work with, not the movie guy) stopped me as I was coming off the cruise boat... "I thought you might like to read this." He handed me a copy of Heartland Boating, a midwest oriented boating magazine. On the cover: a shot of several C-Dorys cruising at a gathering on the Mississippi River. Yep, made me even more anxious to get back to Wild Blue.


Book sales of Cat On A Leash continue. We make our weekly trek to Jackson for supplies, lunch out, and stop at the Post Office to ship out books. Some of our co-workers here have bought the book; certainly opened up some nice conversations. Seems there is frequently a copy of the book at one of the rental stations. Pat is one of our fishing guides; he is one of the first I met when we came here last year, and is my friend... gruff, but likeable. I always recommend our fishing guides to our passengers on the cruise boats. One couple who had a great time with us on a breakfast cruise later went out with Pat on a guided fishing trip. Before they got back, Pat called on the VHF and asked if I had any more books... he started telling this nice couple about the story while out on a trip, and they wanted a book. They were kind enough to wait, as I was coming back from a rescue. I may hire Pat as my rep! Beneath that tough exterior is an old softie when it comes to his furry family members. Seems that there are a lot of us like that.


Great bunch of people we work with here, from the captain and first mate crew, to all the dock wranglers, and Joan's inside crew. The marina jobs are not cushy, the pace is often hectic, but the friends we've made are the best part. And, the view from my "office" is pretty special, too. ;-)

No comments: