Saturday, September 10, 2011

Red and Blue...


It was a blue shirt day for me today: first project was to start winterizing motors from boats that we have pulled out of service already. I was on my third motor, just about to spray the fogging foam into it, when I made a bone-headed move and managed to get my finger nipped in the flywheel. There's the RED... it took a good hunk of meat and some fingernail out of my left index finger... I left some blood on the shop floor.

The assistant manager heard my first expletive and came running. I had gone to the sink to clean it up and see how bad it was... not bad, just bleeding like a stuck pig. Her first response when she saw me wiping blood: "I'll go get Joan!" By the time Joan got there, I had it cleaned out and the bleeding slowed down. "Do you need to go to the clinic?"

"No, I have work to finish. It doesn't need stitches. I stuffed the meat back in. Kinda smarts, though."

Three tight band-aids later, and I went back to finish the motor.

I spent most of the afternoon moving boats from mooring balls to slips. We try to get all the mooring balls empty so we can pull them in; lots of people are pulling boats, since the marina will close in 8 days. As slips empty, we let folks on moorings move into vacant slips... good for everyone.

Little Izzy didn't have a fun day, either... when we got home from work, I took her for a walk. Somewhere along the way, she got into some pine sap - nasty, sticky stuff all over her back feet and little "chaps" (the furry part of her legs and hind end). She was not a happy girl when we had to hold her and cut out the worst of the sticky stuff. This may mean the end of the walks she enjoys so much... or maybe we will have to stick to the paved road, not where she likes to walk.

On the bright side, I only had to work 8 hours today - my shortest day, yet this season.

2 comments:

Charlie-Captain's Cat said...

My sympathies to little Izzy! And to her "Dad", quit doin' stupid stuff. Guess it's hard with your hands in the pockets though... Stay Safer!! :-)

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Charlie. Good thought - I'm going to work on avoiding the stupid stuff. I would have been better off if I did keep my hands in my pockets. ;-)