Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Yes, Commissioner?


Anyone remember the old Batman TV series? How 'bout the BatPhone? Well, I now have my own BatPhone... kinda. A couple months ago when we were in Branson, we walked through a Brookstone store - they have all kinds of fun stuff. One of the things I thought would be very practical was an old-timey looking phone handset, with a very modern twist: a bluetooth connection for a cell phone.

Our situation may be different from most, but here at the edge of the United States, in the Tropical Tip, our cell phone coverage is kinda crappy (technical term, hope I'm not getting over anyone's head here). Through trial and error, we have found the best positioning in our house for a signal... which is near a window in the living room. If you move away from there, the signal strength drops. My phone is also our wifi hotspot... so, if you move the phone, that signal gets worse, too. A bluetooth earbud has been OK... especially for me, 'cause I tend to move around when I talk on the phone. I don't know how anyone else feels about this, but the old days of rotary phones had the best feeling (and functioning) handsets. Well, except for that coil cord.

Joan is a good listener: I said something about that handset when we were in Brookstone. And, it was in my stocking for Christmas (assuming Joan told Santa, of course, 'cause I usually figure I'm on the "Naughty List", but I digress). It works great! When the phone rings, press one button (there's only one) on the phone handset and you are talking... no running to the "best reception place"... and the sound is WAY better than the phone. Anyone else have trouble lining up that one little hole that serves as a speaker in these cell phones with your ear? Yeah, me, too. But, those old handsets? No problem - there's a cup kinda thing that fits your ear.

Everything old is new again!

While we were out on the boat today, I was expecting a call from Steph to let us know that they arrived safely home. When my phone rang, Joan handed me the handset - she had brought it along with us on the boat! Way easy to hear, and I don't give a rat's rear how it looks...


Oh, I won't be using it in the truck (unless I'm the passenger), but the boat does have an autopilot. Yep, I am liking it!

Another absolutely glorious day, we spent some time at anchor. Very relaxing. Lots of boats again, everyone wanting to be out and about after the crappy weather around Christmas. We watched this ship go by, and the small boats scattering out of his way...


Ended the day with this view of the sky after the sun set...

No comments: