Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Whoa! That was FAST!

I got up this morning, dragging my butt to the medicine chest to find more near worthless cold medicine. I know all that stuff about "nothing you can do for a cold," but I am willing to treat "symptoms" if it makes the body aches less and slows the Niagra Falls of snot running out of my nose.

With the cat fed, the coffee maker ready to go, and the Alka Seltzer Cold Plus swallowed, I turned on the wifi hot spot feature on my phone.... well, there's something I haven't seen before: a "4G" signal. That must be a mistake, because we get a really lousy signal down here. I opened up my computer and got... no signal at all. Checked the phone again, and it was showing "NO Gs" or whatever you call it when the phone can't find a data signal. I restarted the phone and there it was again: "4G." I opened the computer again and ... ZOOM - my home page came up in a heartbeat! I pulled up a site to check the data download speed: almost 15 megs!!

It may be a test... or maybe some flukey solar flare thing; but, I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.

----------------------------

On edit: I keep checking speed on my connection, waiting to receive a "Just Kidding" notice, but the download speed seems to vary between 7 and 14 megs - NICE!

Something else fast today: I received an upgrade on Photoshop. I have been plugging away with CS2 since we retired. It always seemed slow. Slow enough that at one point I switched back to the PS7.0 program that I still had on the computer. CS5 has been out long enough that it is likely due for another upgrade... and Adobe only allows 3 incremental steps up to upgrade. Knowing that the Consumer Electronics Show is coming up soon, and predicting that event would be a good time for Adobe to unveil an upgrade, I ordered CS5... and it showed up at the house about 48 hours later. Yes, I know it's available as a download, but until this morning, we didn't have enough speed for that.

The install went well with CS5, and it is SO much faster to work with than CS2.

Zoom, zoom, zoom.

2 comments:

firestock said...

Hi Jim. Congrats on the 4G. it is just a huge difference. I am looking forward to having it available more places. Sorry to hear about you being sick. I tried Mucinex the last time that I had symtoms like yours. I don't know how much it worked, but it did make me feel a lot better.

Sam

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Sam,

The 4G is a treat. We had it a time or two on our way south, but our cell coverage here has been less than great the past year or so... maybe we were due for an equipment upgrade??

I'm hoping a good night's sleep will help with the crud. I might have to give the Mucinex a try - I do enjoy their "Mucus!" commercials. ;-)

Best wishes,
Jim