Thursday, February 9, 2012

Taylor Made...

Sometimes a standing Ovation, sometimes sitting. And, it's not easy sitting with an Ovation. I'm talking guitars here. I've had an electric/acoustic Ovation for a few years. Well, I was trying to remember exactly when I bought that guitar... "I think about 8 years ago." Only missed it by 50%; it was 14 years ago. I like the way the Ovation sounds and plays, but I was less than enthralled by how the guitar slides off my lap due to the rounded back (it's an Ovation "thing"). That rounded back is a "composite synthetic bowl." That means it's hard plastic or something like that. It makes for a nearly indestructible guitar for use on a boat or getting hauled around in an RV.

With our summer plans in mind, the discussion of traveling with the guitar came up. I get 3 or 4 e-mails a week from Guitar Center; after suggesting a "discovery mission" to their nearby store, Joan was onboard. I was looking for something smaller - like a Baby Taylor or something similar. Guitar Center is like a boat show for boaters... or a BIG RV dealer for RV enthusiasts. Lots of shiny things hanging all over the walls. Rows of amplifiers, a room full of keyboards, another room for drums. And my favorite place: a humidity controlled room for the acoustic guitars. They had a LOT to pick from. The Baby Taylor, the Big Baby Taylor, a 3/4 size "travel" Martin... scads of guitars. None of the smaller ones played or sounded like I had hoped. Joan said, "Try some of the full-size ones." Well, we are here. I played some Martins, Fenders, all the good brands. And then, I picked up a Taylor; full size, single cutaway, electric acoustic... ohhhhhhh, it just felt right. Joan could see it on my face - she said, "That one really sounds good! And I can tell you like it."

"Yeah, but it is just a sideways move from my Ovation."

"Is it better than your Ovation?"

"Well, yeah. But, it's not what we came in for."

Not too long after that, one of their managers came in that guitar room and asked about what I was looking for. He could tell that I really liked this particular Taylor. We talked about guitars a bit while I continued to look. Then he said, "Have you ever tried a T5?"

"If that's something new within the last 15 years or so, no." It really has been a while since I've guitar shopped.

"I have one we just got in. It's used, but absolutely like new. It's in the warehouse - I'll be right back."

I heard Joan say something to him before he handed me the guitar, but I didn't catch it. It took my breath away - a VERY pretty instrument. I later found out what Joan said, "Don't show him the price until he plays it." When I played it, it played... well, almost exactly like the other one. Oh, a lot more electronics on it (3 types of pickups), and a thin hollowbody with an absolutely beautiful finish. Well, thanks for confusing the situation.

That was yesterday. I went home and played my Ovation. Damn - both of those Taylors did play better, and sounded better. I guess a lot of things have changed in the past 14 years. Today, Joan suggested we go back with the Ovation and talk about a trade. We did. Of course, they offered me less than I thought mine was worth, but did get a bit flexible on the price of either of theirs. I played them both again. Really, that acoustic/electric called to me. The T5 is a magnificent instrument, but is best when played through an amp or a PA - it doesn't have the "ring" of an acoustic when unplugged. I was nearly swayed by "a pretty face."

We went for lunch, came back, made a counter-offer, and brought home a new Taylor. I didn't gain anything in the way of a smaller size, but, damn, this thing sounds good!

4 comments:

Lost Petrel said...

Sweet!, I actually drug my old Takamine F310S out today and strummed a few chords. It is going to take a lot of painful work to get these old arthritic hands to do much anymore, but I may try for a few easy ones.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Tim. Sweet is a good description. I know what you're saying about "painful work"... not arthritic, I've played more in the past few days than the last 6 months - my fingertips feel bruised. I actually had some calluses built up before we went to the Tetons last summer. Then, ran out of time. I'm taking the time again, playing for an audience of one. Who knows - if I get tired of this captain thing, maybe I'll go back on the road? ;-)

Bob Keim said...

Very cool! A friend (now deceased) had a guitar (his widow still has it) that has the best sound of any guitar I've ever heard. Such rich, full sounds over a very wide range, particularly the low notes.

I'm glad you found one you really like. You need to stop by Gruhn Guitars on you way through some time. George might have another one you really like. ;)

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi BadBob, at my current rate of guitar purchases, this will likely be my last guitar. ;-) Not saying the same thing about boats, though. The guy in the guitar store asked if I'd rather have one new in the box instead of the display model... "Not a chance - this one is THE one!"