Sunday, May 6, 2012

One of these things is not like the others...

Anyone remember that little ditty from Sesame Street?

Thursday -  high in the upper 90s, shorts & t-shirts (south wind in the teens)
Friday - high in the mid 90s, shorts & t-shirts (south wind in the teens)
Saturday - high in the low 90s, shorts & t-shirts (south wind in the 20s)
Sunday - high in the 50s, long pants and jackets (north wind gusting into the 30s)

If you guessed "Sunday," you get 10 bonus points! 

Nothing in between, I guess.  The wind was howling out of the south when we pulled in last night.  We would not have been able to sleep in the boat without air conditioning the first three nights.  Sometime overnight, the wind clocked to the north.  We still needed the a/c when we got up this morning.  Tonight, we will have the heat on... the low is supposed to be in the 30s!!??!!

We found a crosswind, then a headwind in Kansas; then a headwind, a crosswind, and a headwind in Nebraska.  The mileage that I danced about yesterday dwindled down to just under 10 mpg... into the crappy psychological "single digit" territory.  To go with it, diesel prices climbed as we drove north.

I was concerned about the kayaks with all the crosswind, but they did fine.  I had nearly forgotten about the rough stretch of I-80 in Nebraska... tha-thump, tha-thump, tha-thump, tha-thump, tha-thump, tha-thump, tha-thump... it went on a lot longer than that, but you get the idea.  It seems that they have worked on it... and made it even worse.  I think I bruised my spleen.

Joan was concerned that stuff in the boat was getting tossed around.  I tried to assure her that the boat was riding easier, that our long wheelbase in the truck was the cause of our porpoising.  She said, "I can see it bouncing in the mirror."

"I think that is the mirror bouncing."  It wasn't pretty.

We stopped at a Flying J, and got the usual, "Nice boat!  How much does one like that cost?" comments.  When I told him, I thought he was going to wet himself.  He was in a very nice pickup, pulling a custom trailer, set up for high end catering.  I found out he manufactures those trailers.  "I bet the price of that trailer would stun me?"  Yep.  But, it was nice.  He asked if our boat was new.  When I told him it was 6 years old now, he said, "You sure take good care of it.  Or, maybe you don't use it that much?"

When I told him some of the places we have been with the boat, I could see "that look" in his eyes... "I bet a boat like that could make it across the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas, huh?"

"You would win that bet.  AND, you can trailer it to Florida to make the run."

If I wanted to go into high end catering, I think I could have worked out a trade. ;-)

Another long driving day today.  Gray skies most of the way, occasional spitting rain, but we studied the weather forecasts along our route and stayed out of the ugly stuff that moved through both states.  As we got close to our stop for the day, the sky cleared... just in time for a chilly night.

Pretty sure I packed long-johns somewhere.


No comments: