Saturday, June 9, 2012

A bit of home...

I was doing some work with the big boat this morning, and got off work just after noon.  On the walk back to the boat, I saw a couple ahead of me, walking their golden... hey, that's Jake!  I shouted, "Do you people have a permit for walking that dog here?"

Good thing it was Herb and Wilma, our friends from Port Isabel!  Joan didn't have to go in to man the office until this afternoon, so I called her and we made a plan to have lunch with our friends.

It's been a while since I'd had a good burger; we decided to walk on up to Herb's... no, not Herb and Wilma's boat, but up the street to Herb's Tavern.  Well, 3 of us walked up there, Herb (no, not the tavern Herb) was making arrangements with the canvas place here for some work on his bimini.  No shortage of conversation while we waited for Herb (yes, that Herb) to join us so my taste buds could dive into a Herb's Cheeseburger.  No, Herb got his own Herb's Cheeseburger... but, I suppose any cheeseburger he ordered would be a Herb's cheeseburger.

Damn, this is getting confusing.

After a leisurely lunch (nice change of pace), we parted company.  Well, for a while.  I bought a handy-dandy line cutter/burner at the Boat Show last January, and we needed to pick up some butane for that.  Plus, Joan had to get back to the boat to get her company shirt on for work.  I like saying that: "Joan had to go to work."  I was done for the day.  I'll be meeting Herb and Wilma on Willie's Tug (I would say, Herb's boat, but that again might be confusing) for happy hour... but Joan will be at work.

Pretty sure I'll make up for that with a long day tomorrow, since I'm scheduled for an afternoon whale watch and a late charter.

Turned out to be a pretty nice day in Friday Harbor.  Once again, better than forecast... one of our dock neighbors told me about "the Friday Harbor bubble": something he described as "a bubble of nice weather right around Friday Harbor, when the neighboring areas are cloudy or rainy."  Call it what you want, this is two days in a row of getting to see some blue sky, and I am liking that.

I took Isabella for a short walk today.  Well, when I first put her on the dock with her leash on, she jumped back into the boat just as I climbed out.  I went back in to get her, we had a little talk, that didn't change her mind one bit, and we went back onto the dock.  For a bit.  As we walked a few feet away from the boat, she kept looking back over her shoulder to make sure the boat was still there.

Oh, and I loaded some butane into the line cutter/burner.  Slick!  I cut the line Joan wanted, then went around the boat cutting a whole bunch of other lines... I can tie them back together later if need be. ;-)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting the whale watch guidelines, Jim. I'm busy putting posters up on Whidbey Island. Will give you a wave tomorrow from Mystic Sea. Sandra - www.sandrapollard.com

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Sandra, I'll be driving Kittiwake tomorrow afternoon and evening - be looking for you.
Best wishes,
Jim