Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day...

Quite a few titles I've garnered over the years (Master of Photography, Certified Professional Photographer, Captain, etc), but the one I use with the most pride is... Dad.  A lot of miles separate us from our daughter this year (we got to see her for Father's Day last year in the Tetons), but there are two cards with my name on them that I'll wait to open when we talk.

I had a very nice phone visit with Dan, our son-in-law, yesterday.  We love him like a son. 

I am on-call today, and will find out in a couple hours if I have a trip (4 of the last 5 years, I've been driving a boat on Father's Day... well driving someone else's boat, I think I was driving our own boat on that 5th year).  Joan has to go in early this morning to open the office.  Looks like I may have some Cat Daddy bonding today if I don't have to go drive a boat.  Not the same, even though the cat is mighty sweet.  ;-)

But, nothing beats that Daddy-daughter bond.  I'll miss getting a big hug today, but I'll make up for it the next time we're together.

Happy Father's Day.

----------------------

On edit:

Not long after writing this, my darling little girl called.  We talked for about an hour.  Best part of the day!  She mixed it up this year... we always do two cards for special occasions, one funny, one mushy.  She had me open the mushy one first.  Damn, I wasn't ready for that... usually I can toughen myself up for the mushy one, but still the eyes will well up.  It was more than that this year.

When I look at her, I see the best of both her Mother and me.  If there's anything I've done to make this world a better place, our daughter embodies it.  We are so very proud of her.

Joan just called from work, and it looks like I'll be heading in today.  I really enjoy this job, but it WAY down the list from my favorite: my lifetime job of being Dad.  To paraphrase, it isn't a job, it is an adventure! 



No comments: