Sunday, June 17, 2012

A whale of a good time at work...

An interesting day out on the water today - lots of whales, including a humpback that I couldn't get close to because... there were Orcas between us and the whale! Very Happy

The folks on our boat got quite a show. Fortunately, they had a good spirit of adventure, as well - coming out from behind the wind shadow of San Juan Island, Haro Strait was kicking up. 20+ mile per hour wind out of the SW will do that. We paced a half dozen Orcas, until Turn Point on Stuart Island made it pretty important to do a 270ยบ turn (maybe that's why they call it that? Wink ). We had to take 3+ foot waves on the beam for a while, making for some rockin' and rollin'. To give our guests a better ride, I turned into the waves, quartered off just a bit to make some headway, then spun the boat to surf back towards the whales with the wave action. When I could ease the power back so the guests could hear me, I shouted down to make sure everyone was doing alright.

We did that for a while, when I got a report of the humpback north and east of us. I could see the spray from his blow, but never saw him above the waves... the spray is a lot bigger than that thrown by the Orcas. I made every effort to get us closer, but the Orcas had other ideas... like the old saying about "couldn't see the forest for the trees," we couldn't see the whale for the whales. Mr. Green

When the naturalist told me that one guest was feeling a bit green (and understandable with the conditions), I turned us toward some protection near Stuart Island. The clear conditions made for great viewing, and we were treated to a couple bald eagle fly overs. In through the calm water in Johns Pass, watched a seal and some seagulls wrestling for fish, another eagle, and back towards Friday Harbor. The wind vs current in San Juan Channel made it a bit lumpy on the way back, but nothing like we had earlier.

Joan took me out for pizza for Father's Day, and we were home in time to talk with our sweet daughter once more. Sorry I couldn't be with our little girl, but still a very nice Father's Day.



Very Happy

2 comments:

CampingCaptain said...

Knowing where you are for the Summer, I'm betting your daughter wishes she could be where you are. To see you of course. ;)

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I have been fortunate that we have been able to be together for most Father's Days over the past 40 years. They won't be able to make it up here this summer... she asked me to take some photos to show what Friday Harbor is like. I'll get on that soon.