Saturday, July 21, 2012

Can you come in?

Around 5:00, I got a call from Joan: "The boat is running really late, I need to get food for the crew, and I'm here alone - can you come in?"

"I'll be right there."

You know that old saying about "When you're up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember that your original goal was to drain the swamp"?  When I got there, I found out why the boat was late and why Joan was there by herself: another boat (not ours) was taking on water; our boat has an emergency pump and they were close by.  They had to help out the other boat.  Four people on our boat had to make the seaplane departure, and that wasn't going to happen in time.  Our other boat was also nearby, and took the four people off the big boat, and headed back.  That boat went right to the seaplane dock, where the seaplane was being held by our owner who was pleading with the pilot, "Just a couple more minutes, please!"

Then another call: could we sent back the second boat to get the passengers off the disabled boat?

"We're on the way."

What they called me for: crowd control and coordination.  The people waiting for the evening trip didn't know why the boat wasn't in, yet.  I explained that: "It's a maritime law, we have to help another boat in need.  I apologize for the delay and assure you that you will get the full trip, even with a delayed departure."

One guest asked me if they would make it back in time for the 10:00 ferry departure.

"Let me call the captain on that boat."  It's going to be close.  I said, "Would you like me to put your car in the ferry line for you?  That way you don't have to walk all the way up town where your car is parked."

His wife asked, "You would do that for us?"

"Sure; we're all about the service."

When I saw our big boat coming into the harbor, I walked these passengers out, helped unload the guests on the boat, and got these folks onboard.  Then went in search of this family's car.  I drive a truck... you put a key in it, you turn the key, it starts.  This thing didn't have a key.  Just a fob.  Swell.  I pressed the start button after locking myself in the car... lights lit up, but the car didn't start.  Fun.  I looked for a place to put the fob - Joan had rented a Prius once, and you actually put the fob in the dash... nope.  I got out the owners manual... nope, it didn't tell you how to start the car.  Seriously?  I stepped on the brake, and the car fired up!  Good thing, I was sweating like a farm animal and afraid I'd set off the alarm if I opened the door. ;-)

I drove the car to the ferry lanes, checked with one of the parking attendants, explained the situation, and told him it was gonna be close.  He let me park the car in one of the last lanes that would be loading... good guy.

Joan was supposed to get off work at 5:00... shortly after 7:00, we walked back to the boat.

Never a dull work day. ;-)  Oh, this wasn't a work day for me.


No comments: