Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I got the horn blues...

We needed to replace the horn on the boat I drive most frequently.  We have a "maintenance guy", but the horn kept getting moved down the list.  Yes, a portable air horn will satisfy Coast Guard rules, but I have had to drive in fog... and I want a real horn.  I didn't have a trip today, so I asked if it was OK if I replaced the horn.

"Sure..."

I think there was some question if I was capable. ;-)  The problem wasn't just the horn - the button and relay were bad, too.  The horn button was stripped... I found this out when I started working with it... probably why it kept getting moved down the priority list.  After messing with it for nearly an hour, I got mad and went to the truck to get my Dremmel - I cut the damn button and relay out of there and had the whole thing mounted and rewired in 45 minutes.  And it works!  Kinda sounds like a Lexus. ;-)

Yesterday, when we were getting pounded while whale watching, the portable air horn went flying on one large wave.  I won't have to deal with that again!  The owners are great as far as staying on top of any boat needs.  If we tell 'em the boat needs something, it gets it.

Well, sometimes you have to do it yourself. ;-)


No comments: