Thursday, July 5, 2012

More marina people...

I met a nice couple on the dock yesterday.  They have a C-Dory in a slip behind ours.  Obviously a year 'round slip, but I've only seen them there once before.  They were on their boat yesterday, so I walked over and introduced myself.

They live here on San Juan Island, but have been busy with house and property projects, and haven't had much time to use the boat this season.  The boat is the same year as ours, but we have about 7 times as many hours on ours.

These folks don't participate on the C-Brats, but were aware that there was a gathering here in May.  I told them their boat got a lot of looks, since it is on a dock where folks in transient slips have to walk past... she was horrified - "Oh my goodness!  Our boat was such a mess - I'm embarrassed that anyone saw it like that!"  I told her that most folks were just curious about who owned the boat.

She told me that the last time they were here, they saw me working around the boat.  Pretty obvious from the way the boat is loaded that someone is living aboard.  She told me they made up scenerios.  His: "The guy is working here for the summer."  Hers: "He is divorced; she got the house, he got the boat.  He's living here to sort things out."

Then, they saw the Blonde.  I asked, "Were you shocked to think about a couple living on a boat that size?  We have friends and family that aren't too sure about us," I chuckled.  (Their model is smaller than Wild Blue.)

Him: "Well..."
Her: "No, I think it sounds like a great adventure."

"Well, it is a couple living in small accommodations.  And, we're doing fine with it.  We've been together since high school and can't imagine it any other way."

Her: "Do you have to walk up to the showers everyday?"  (There is some question about how often liveaboards bathe. :-D)

"No, we have a shower on the boat.  The 25 has a few more amenities than the 22, the enclosed head and shower being pretty significant.  We shower onboard every day."

Her: "What do you do about electricity?"  Their slip doesn't have power.

"We're plugged in to 30 amp shore power.  We have a fridge, microwave, electric and diesel heat, hot water, satellite TV, and good internet.  Plus, we walk to work."

Her: "Oh, that would really be really nice.  Parking here is a problem."

We visited for quite a while.  Found out the things that you invariably have in common (he is a pilot, they used to sail).  They've lived on San Juan Island for three years and love it here.  Understandable... well, weather dependent. ;-)

I enjoyed walking around yesterday, people watching.  Some folks dressed to the nines, some in t-shirts and flip-flops... yachtie types and some who are getting by sleeping under a tarp in an open boat.  A very interesting mix of folks.  And dogs... a great number of people walking dogs on the docks... and some of them who aren't aware of the need to pick up after your pooch - watch your step.  I said something to one guy who looked horrified when his dog started to take a dump on the dock... "There are bags for cleaning that up right up that ramp."  He thanked me and hustled up the ramp.  Some campgrounds have rules that you have to have some means of picking up poop on you anytime you are out with your dog... seems to be a good rule to me.  Little Izzy is grossed out - she can't believe that anything poops in public.  Of course, she has staff who scoops after she poops.

I expect the marina to stay busy like this for the next couple months.  I'm glad Joan wanted to be on this dock - not as much walk-by traffic, although we do still get lookie-loos... including the occasional person who tries to look in our windows.

Life in the marina.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

"although we do still get lookie-loos... including the occasional person who tries to look in our windows" . . .

You could have some fun with that with a motion detector and a pop-up mask or something.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

I'm thinking: mooning! ;-D