Thursday, July 19, 2012

Off Island...

What a beautiful day!  We were up and about early; Joan said, "Let's go off island for a birthday meal!"  Sounded good to me.  We put the truck in line for the ferry, had a hardy breakfast at The Hungry Clam, and got back to the truck in time to drive on the ferry.

We did some shopping, banking, more shopping, and then lunch at Carino's.  We got an e-mail from Carino's giving me a free dessert for my birthday... it pays to promote!  Lunch was outstanding... and plenty left for supper tonight.

I've been wanting a capo for my guitar, so Joan looked up the closest music store, called to make sure they have guitar stuff... and it was pretty much right on the way.  I pulled up in front of the place, and she said, "I'll wait here; take your time.  And get whatever you want."

"Ohhhhh... whatever I want?"  She knows we are in a boat and have limited space. ;-)  I had fun looking around, but other than a capo, there just wasn't anything I needed.  They did have a lot of guitars and a couple really hot deals on amps... which I do not need.  I kept telling myself that.  Music stores are like boat stuff stores for me: with a little effort, I can always find something I didn't know I needed.  "Oh, look, ukuleles!" :-D

We were too late for the 2:00 ferry and way too early for the 4:45 ferry.  We made a side trip to LaConner.  There is a C-Brat gathering there this weekend; we won't be able to make it due to work, but it sure is a fun town.  Lots of neat shops and restaurants right off the waterfront.  We have stayed there in the past, and enjoyed it a bunch.

It was downright warm while we sat in line for the ferry to return to Friday Harbor.  We went to the top deck and sat up front - nice view, good protection.  The water was flat on the way over and back... sure to be a good day for whale watching.

When we left the permit parking lot at the marina this morning, there were only 3 open spaces... I just knew there wouldn't be a spot available when we got back.  It weighed on my mind most of the day.  Turns out my concern was unfounded... plenty of spots available.  Maybe there were all out for supper, or maybe there was something going on last night that filled most of the parking spots.  No matter, all I need is one.

We are really enjoying our time at Friday Harbor, but every once in a while, it is nice to drive the truck, go to Wal-Mart, and just be people.  Now, we'll go back to walking to work and the store, and the truck will sit in its parking space.  If I had to use the ferry on a regular basis, it would get old... you have to be in line over an hour ahead of the departure time to be sure you can get on.  Then, 20 minutes or so to load.  An hour and 10 minutes to get from Friday Harbor to Anacortes.  Then, do it all in reverse for the trip back.  We're not used to that "hurry up and wait" routine... it eats up a lot of time.  Miss the ferry, and you may have to wait another 3 hours or more for the next one.

With our relatively short time here this summer, the ferry is still a bit of a novelty.  It is something we deal with everyday at work, though... Joan has to let guests know how to get on San Juan Island and how to time the ferry, and I have to deal with the ferry coming and going as we come and go from our close-by slips for the whale watch boats.





Yep, that's a wrap for the birthday celebration stuff.


No comments: