Thursday, July 5, 2012

Somebody flipped the switch...

I've read about it: that summer high pressure that moves into this area around the 4th of July.  Oh, sometimes as late as the 15th, but just when you think summer will never arrive in the area, this phenomenon kicks in, and the weather turns beautiful for the next 6 weeks or so.  I've heard some of the locals say, "This time of year is the reward for the other 10 months."  Not sure that reward ratio is something I could live with on a year 'round basis, but...

We woke up this morning to glorious sunshine; the first morning sunshine we've seen in a while.  It feels good.  We turned the heat off as soon as we got up.  Joan asked, "Do you think we'll have a night this summer when we don't have to run the heat?"

Yeah, I'm not going out on that limb.  Another pleasant surprise: hardly any condensation on the windows this morning.

It's a day off for the both of us.  After a nice big breakfast, we plan to get the kayaks down and paddle/pedal around the harbor.  It's about time - they have been "decoration" since we left Texas.

I took a little walk on the docks this morning.  The sign on the restrooms close to us read "Closed for repairs."  Good timing.  I walked up to the facilities by the office... yep, standing room only.  Including a couple guys who were cheaping-out with the $1 showers and washing their hair in the sinks.  People are already in shorts, smiles on their faces.  Lots of people out and about.

The last few days there have been lines at the grocery store check-outs.  Occasional crowded sidewalks.  A line at the ice cream shop - we got behind one young lady who thought she could "sample" every flavor before making a decision.  She was informed, "One sample per customer."  Good policy... especially when I am waiting for my Bunny Tracks.

More traffic on the water, too.  Coming back in from my last trip out (in the sunshine), I had to work my way through dinghies and small boats wandering aimlessly.  They spread like cockroaches when the ferry rolls in... I've even heard a few "5 blasts" the last couple days.

Glad we are self-contained on our boat.


No comments: