Friday, July 27, 2012

Took a beating...

The whales were reported between Kellet Bluff and Turn Point... and easy run from Friday Harbor.  Yeah, that didn't materialize.  Then, a vague report on the southwest side of San Juan Island and 4 to 6 foot waves.  Then, a firm report that one pod was between Turn Point and Pender Island (Canada).  I put the power on and ran north.  The whales were moving fast to the north.

On the bright side: I was running north with the waves.
On the not so bright side: I had to run all the way to Active Pass to catch up with the whales.
On the really ugly side: I had to slog home against the waves.

The "three hour tour" turned into 4 hours... most of it in 3 to 4 foot steep, closely spaced waves and wind.  The guests were delighted that they got to see whales, and I had let them know before we departed that we were going to have "wind and waves."  They were great... when they got off the boat, they all thanked us for spending the extra time to get them to the whales.

I was thinking, "Oh, my aching back!"  I was happy they were pleased with the tour.

When I got home, Joan reminded me that a boat neighbor had invited me to come over with my guitar for some playing.  There were 3 guys there, and we took turns introducing a song to the group.  It's been a while since I've play with anyone else... two guitars, a banjolo (kind of a cross between a banjo and a mandolin), and a dobro.  It was fun... and took my mind off my aching back. ;-)


No comments: