Sunday, July 22, 2012

What a show!

The weather weasels called for a chance of rain after 4:00 this afternoon.  It was drizzling when Joan went to work at 7:45 this morning, and still drizzling when I went in at noon.  It stopped before we loaded up for our 1:30 whale watch trip, but that "partly cloudy" was actually a solid overcast.  And the wind came up from the southwest as I headed south.

I had on 4 layers, gloves, and a stocking cap... had to put the hood up to keep my neck warm.  South of San Juan Island, we headed south... saw a couple Minke Whales.  They are a lot bigger than Orcas, but less impressive to see because they have a very small dorsel fin.  The guests enjoyed seeing them, but they were here to see Orcas.  I had a good report that there were Killer Whales a few miles away, so I knew I had time.  We ran further off-shore, where Haro Strait and Juan de Fuca come together... a bunch of Orcas.  At one point, I couldn't move because we had them on both sides and in front of us, and another boat coming up behind us.  All were 200 yards away, of course.

It was quite a viewing... the salmon must have been running with the current, because the whales were not moving, but were very active.  The guests got to see why they are called "Killer" Whales, when one of them came up with a large salmon in its teeth and gave it a toss.  Apparently, their Mothers never told them not to play with their food.

The wind came up while we were out there; the sea state went from nearly flat to 2 to 3 foot waves.  The viewing was so good that no one seemed to mind.  You really notice the rockin' and rollin' up on that flybridge helm, though.  I do try to keep the boat oriented so the guests get the best ride possible along with the best views.

I told our naturalist that this would be "last looks," then started turning out.  More whales on both sides of us; it was a slow departure.  We swung by Whale Rocks and Long Island where we got to see a Stellar Sea Lion (rare this time of year - they have gone north), Mommas and baby seals, two adult bald eagles and one juvenile.  It was a good viewing day.

Well, except for the rain, which drizzled on us all the way back.  The guests can stay dry in the semi-enclosed cabin; I have Sunbrella and eisenglass... I didn't get wet, except for when I have to unzip the eisenglass to wipe it so I can see.  It was barely sprinkling when we got back to the dock.

I was scheduled to do the 5:30 trip, but was offered some "hours" trade.  Works for me.  I got to walk home from work with my Honey.  :-)

-----

On edit:  The rain let up for a bit and some sun came streaming through the clouds to the west - a rainbow!


That was the view from Wild Blue's cockpit... it didn't last long, but pretty while it was there.  Reminds me of an old Hawaiian saying: No rain, no rainbows. ;-)




3 comments:

Herb Stark said...

Looked like the winds and weather would kick up higher as the day went on, so we decided to ease on back to Ancortes from Lopez this morning. At least we were snug and dry as your passengers...grins.

andwilliesaid said...

2 to 3 ft? Your guests trust their Captain.

Walking back with your Honey -- Bruce says "Love is a verb." I say, "to love is an active verb."

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Herb and Wilma - 2 to 3 foot waves isn't bad in that boat... as long as you aren't up in that flybridge helm! It's like riding a mechanical bull... for 3 hours. :-0