Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Which do you prefer?

An RV friend asked me, "I know it's like comparing apples and oranges but which scenery do you think is more spectacular, Orcas or The Tetons?"


My response...

Interesting question, and one we've asked ourselves.  The scenery here in the San Juan Islands is beautiful.  Seeing the Orcas (and Minke and the occasional humpback) makes one appreciate these magnificent mammals.  Seeing them daily, and trying to keep up with the distances they cover make me better understand what they go through to survive and why they are endangered.

That said, I still think the Tetons are the most spectacular scenery in the lower-48.  Going to work in the early morning and seeing the light move down those rugged mountains gave me goosebumps... every morning.  My vote for "most spectacular" goes to the Tetons.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it is nice to have the variety.  Both of these places are very special to us.  We camped in Yellowstone and the Tetons way back when we were still newlyweds.  We cruised the San Juan Islands when we first picked up Wild Blue.  Sometimes "firsts" carry a lot of weight.  Yesterday, Joan said, "If we come back here (to work again), it would never be as good as this summer.  I really like the slip we're in and the neighbors around us.  I love the walk to work.  I even like walking to the store."  She loves her job at the front counter of the whale watch business and is the "shining star" in the owners' eyes; while she has learned a lot about this particular business, she has taught them a great deal about customer service and sales.

I like the challenge of the boat driving here; no "route".  I miss the interaction with the guests, since the helm of boat boats is intentionally separate from the guests.

Living on the boat is very workable here.  Joan asked me, "Are you going to be ready to head out with the 5th wheel when we get home?"

"Absolutely!  I miss the room and ease of RVing... having a decent size refrigerator and walk-around room with the bed... and that big hanging closet."  The only thing I miss about the house is the jacuzzi tub.  smiley 

I'm sure it would be different if we were cruising, moving every day with the boat.  Considering all the miles I am getting in and all the different places I go with the whale watch boats, I am happy to do some walking or driving on our day off.   grin

I guess I feel fortunate that we are able to do what we do.  These summer jobs are Joan's idea, but I see the value, both monetary and the physical.  Joan is generally quite shy, except in a work environment; I understand why she likes this.  I have itchy feet, and after a couple months in one place, I am ready to go... somewhere.

We aren't sure what direction we'll head or what mode of transportation we'll use when our time is done here.  I am totally OK with going where the weather looks good.  Joan prefers a bit more planning in her spontaneity  Wink... we have a whole month to thing about it.

Best wishes,
Jim

1 comment:

Sam Landsman said...

If you want the scenery of the Tetons and the wildlife of the San Juans, come up to SE Alaska. Bar none, SE Alaska is the most beautiful place I've ever been and there are lots of tour boats up here that need seasonal skippers...