Friday, August 17, 2012

10 hours...

From the time I first got to the boat this morning, until I checked out: 10 hours.  I started the morning out with a whale watch trip... the whales didn't punch in today.  I talked to at least 40 other boat captains in every part of the San Juans, Gulf Islands, and the 3 big straits - no one saw Orcas.  We all worked together, taking different routes around different islands, and checking in.  One of the busiest days of the summer, and not an Orca to be seen.

I was out before most of the other boats.  Figuring where the whales were last reported (last night at 9:00) and the direction and speed they were heading... aw, heck, they could be anywhere.  Just not here.

An hour and a half into the trip and out into Haro Strait west of Stuart Island, a report came over the radio: one boat had seen one Minke whale at the south end of Lopez Island.  People don't come here to see Minke whales, but I was working hard to give the guests the most for their trip - we burned a bunch more fuel and ran south.  On the bright side, they were getting a beautiful view of the west side of San Juan Island (yes, we were circumnavigating the whole island) on an absolutely gorgeous day.  The water was nearly flat.  As far as boat rides go, it doesn't get any better than what we were experiencing.

I scanned every bait ball I saw on the southwest side of the island, but no Minke to be found.  Then another report - further south and east.  We spent some time, and getting a few glimpses of one very fast and shy Minke.  Turning north, we saw Steller Sea Lions, including two males trying to determine who was the "alpha."  Like a fight on the Jr. High playground, mostly just a lot of noise and posturing.  We saw eagles and other water fowl.  Some playful seals.  Just no Orcas... just like all the other whale watch boats out there today.

Coming back in, I was just ahead of the ferry.  My goal was to get to the dock and have the first mate get one or two lines on before the ferry blasted us with wake.  Just before getting to the narrow opening to our slips, another tour boat made a sharp turn, cutting us off.  I called the ferry on the radio, asking if he could give us 30 seconds... "Make it quick, we have a schedule to meet, too."

"Thank you, sir, I appreciate your consideration."

I was a bit behind schedule and had another trip with a pretty short turn-around.  A water taxi trip, including wait time.

Some of the other staff started carrying things down to our boat: two HUGE coolers, watermelons, bags of other supplies, cases of wine... dang, someone was planning one heck of a party!  Our job was to take them to Waldron Island.  Apparently a tract of land was being turned over from one preservation group to another, and this was the party celebrating that transfer.  And we had a bunch of people to take along with that 300+ pounds of supplies.

We got off on time, and the boat handled all the extra weight without much complaint.  Over the last day or two, I checked with a half dozen other captains about docking on Waldron Island... no one had ever been there.  Waldron has about 100 year round residents and only two docks - both private.  No facilities for visitors.  I told the other captains, "Well, I'll let you know what I find."

Frankly, I prefer to have some local knowledge if it's available.  Little stuff, like: how deep is the water at the dock?  Any shoals not charted?  Height of the dock?

Oh, and I was told that we could drop our passengers at the dock, but would not be allowed to stay at the dock.  We had a two hour wait time, while they had their gathering.  I asked one gentleman at the dock, "Can I use one of those mooring balls?" pointing to a half dozen empty moorings.

"Well, those are private."

"Yes, sir; I understand that.  I guess I could anchor somewhere in the middle of those moorings, but it sure would be a mess if I hook someone's mooring anchor.  Plus, we are going to be on the boat the while we wait."

"That's a good point.  See that yellow one over there?  Those folks won't be back until late - you can use that one."

Sometimes you just have to give 'em a good reason to be cooperative.  ;-)  There was very little breeze, so I knew we weren't going to put any pressure on the mooring.  Anchoring this boat is a lot of work and takes two people.  The first mate was grateful that I made this easy for both of us.

So, for the next 2 1/2 hours (you didn't think they'd be on time, did you?), we visited and moved around the cabin, trying to stay out of the sun.  I was a warm day.  I made regular trips to the helm to check the depth finder... yeah, this is as close to the bottom as I've been with this boat.  The other boats on mooring balls here were a lot smaller.

When we saw the folks on their way back to the dock, we untied from the mooring and made our way back to the dock.  Oh, other than some kids jumping and swimming, no one else had used the dock during that time.

We had a beautiful ride back to Friday Harbor; I even stopped for a bit to give them a chance to look at some harbor porpoises.  I got a call from the office on the way in, asking if I'd fuel the boat after dropping off the passengers... "Sorry, the fuel dock closed at 6:00.  Let Mike know he'll have to come in a little early tomorrow.  I'd sure do it, if they were open."

Back at the dock, we helped cart all the supplies (and garbage) that we carried over.  Yeah, sometimes we get to be pack mules, too.  ;-)

It had been a long day on the water.  And really beautiful.  For this last trip, with no whales to be concerned with, no other boats to contend with, and lovely flat water, I was able to get a few photos.

The dock at Waldron...


The view from the helm once we were on the mooring ball...



Yeah, that's pretty close to shore, and I'm not used to seeing low double digit depths below us (it was 9 feet at the dock).

On the ride home...




That top photo is leaving Waldron Island.  The middle (with the silhouettes) is looking towards the west.  And the bottom is with the pretty evening light on the Wasp Islands.


3 comments:

Dave Gibson said...

Low double digits? LOL! I'd LOVE to see low double digits on the ICW. Of course, it's all mud on the ICW and so much more forgiving. Still, Drift Away drafts 4' 8" and we saw 5' at low tide.

Nice pics, by the way.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Yep, around our home waters in south Texas, anything over 10' is considered DEEP! Around here, the bottom is all rocky, and if the depth gets to less than 50', we are extremely cautious. When I first started here, I was told, "If the depth finder shows less than 50 to 60 feet, you don't belong there!" ;-) Looking at some of the rock formations extending into the water, and not far from the dock... well, I approached sloooooowly.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Oh, and when the depth goes from over 600 feet to low double digits in a short distance, that kinda gets your attention, too. ;-)