Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Do you miss it?

The discussion was with some folks who asked about us living on the boat this summer... "Do you miss not having a house?"

Well, we have a house.  It just seems like after a couple months there, we want to wander some more.  Being on the boat or in the RV is another form of domicile.  The space is certainly different, especially so on the boat (since it isn't 'a box').  We have a comfortable bed.  A galley with a fridge, microwave, and Wallas stove/heater.  Hot and cold pressure water.  An enclosed head with a shower.  Storage space (is there ever enough??), our 'sun room' in the cockpit.  Oh, satellite TV and radio.  Joan likes her Keurig coffee-maker, and I like the SodaStream for making soda (no schlepping bottles of soda from the store and way less garbage).  Little Izzy has her favorite blankie and toys.  The boat is nicely equipped with nav gear when we're cruising.  The electric windlass makes anchoring easy.

No, there isn't much we miss.

I thought about it a bit more.  I do kinda miss the jacuzzi tub - that's a nice way to soak out the aches and pains.  Oh, and having comfortable leather recliners is nice.  Joan added: a BIG refrigerator with an ice maker and a freezer that has room to store steaks and chops.  A nice covered deck (the awning works well with the HitchHiker).  4G data service is good - I do miss that.  Lunch out any ol' time I want - I guess that goes along with not having a schedule.  Unlimited water is good... we can use all the water we want here, but I have to top off the tank every other day or so.  Speaking of water, I do like a shower that has some 'moving around room'... yeah, that's a good thing.

Little Izzy added her opinion: room to walk around where there isn't a dog in your face all the time.  (People do like their dogs here.  It would be nice if they could all learn to pick up after them.)  I like the stairs in the 5th wheel - they give me a good jumping off point for the evening crazies!  I can barely get up to speed in the boat, and then it's time to turn around.  My tower!  I really miss my tower right in front of a full length window.

Oh, and my music room; a place where I can have a PA plugged in and pick which guitar I want to play.

Yeah, I guess there are a few things we miss... but not enough to want to run back right away. ;-)


1 comment: