Monday, August 27, 2012

Oh, what a beautiful morning...

Oh, what a beautiful day.  I've got a wonderful feeling... I'll be working in the bilge today.

OK, that's not how the song goes, but it's how the day goes.  Here was the view this morning...


Nice way to start the day.  Joan said, "Daylight come and me want to go home."  Yeah, we do a lot of singing. ;-)  I said, "Daylight come and me want to go anywhere - it's still too hot at home, and you know how I get after 3 months in one place."  One appealing aspect of these jobs, besides the fact that we are in the absolutely gorgeous San Juan Islands, was the fact that it was only a 3 month commitment (compared to 4 months in the Tetons).

The fresh water pump on our boat that was running intermittently yesterday, quit last night.  Right after Joan finished showering.  I'll be laying on my belly in the cockpit, working through a hatch to replace the pump.  I walked up to the truck to get a replacement pump out of our supplies.  On the outside of the box, it said, "3 year warranty."  Yep, it has been 3 years and one month since I last replaced the pump.  That's better than the last one, that only lasted 6 months.  The reason for that would be that this is the special "marinized" version... after all, you sure don't want to get a water pump wet.

I can't take a shower this morning until I get the pump replaced.  Timing.  There is a chance that I may not have a trip today.  This may be the start of the season slowing down.  Joan said, "You can have 'maintenance week' on your own boat if it works out that way."  I'm OK with that.  The last month has been really busy at work... I hope the owners have had a profitable season.  I know we have done our best to keep things running smoothly.

A little extra time off this week wouldn't be a problem for me. ;-)


3 comments:

andwilliesaid said...

I didn't know you meant your boat when I saw you in the afternoon, or I could have offered Herb to help. Oh, there probably wasn't room for four hands in the hatch!

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Wilma. Pretty much a one-person job. I figure a half hour to take out the old pump, slice the wires, mount up the new pump, connect the hoses. Plan an additional 15 minutes for swearing and putting on band-aids. The new one's in, lost less than 2 ounces of water, and we're good to go again. :-)

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Umm... that's "splice" not "slice"... maybe that was the problem with the old pump? LOL