Wednesday, August 29, 2012

OK, I was wrong...

Today, I believed... they didn't come.  In fact, they weren't anywhere to be found.  The best thing about the boat I usually drive is the fact that it is "the adult boat."  Today, I had a group with more kids than adults.  I asked the boss lady, "Am I being punished?"  She is getting better with understanding my humor. ;-)

Not an Orca to be found anywhere in the area today.  Still, we managed to find 3 Minkies.  (Is that the proper plural of Minke?)  The Minke whales are faster moving and stealthier than the Orcas... we actually have to work harder to find and track a Minke.  And, it is a whale... unlike the Orcas that are actually the largest member of the dolphin family.  But, I digress.

It was a nice day today - the flattest I've seen the water in weeks.  Plenty of other wildlife... just no Orcas.  My naturalist hurt her back the other day, so the flat water was welcome; plus, I made it a point to keep any jarring to a minimum.  Not an easy feat running through Cattle Pass.

It was Captain Mike's birthday today.  He is the youngest of our captain crew... he turned 34 today.  No, I don't remember 34.  ;-)  The chocolate cake was tasty.

I came in early today to work out some kinks in the PA set-up on the big boat.  Apparently, being a former rock 'n roller qualifies me to set up a sound system.  There is a trick to it: you have to read the operation manual. ;-)  I get called to do this kind of stuff after it doesn't work

Tick, tick, tick.  The boss asked us if we'd like to stay another month or so.  We politely declined.  But, we will work our hearts out right up to the last minute of our contracts.  We each have 3 work days left... and we have tomorrow off together!  We have a plan: we going to sleep in.  Joan has been doing 7:45s every work day for the past couple weeks.  She is looking forward to lounging in tomorrow morning... I am looking forward to a real home-cooked breakfast.

Little Izzy has gotten very comfortable here in the boat.  She discovered the satellite TV receiver is just as good as an electric blanket.  Joan keeps saying, "She is a Texas cat - she doesn't like the cold."  It is going to be a shock to her when we head out of the marina and don't have electricity every night (we have had our electric heater on all but one night our entire time here).  No electricity, no warmth coming off that receiver...



I think her little furry paw pads are cute.



No comments: