Friday, August 31, 2012

What a day!

IF today had been my last day, it would have been a great way to end the season: the whales were not too far away and were active.  One whale developed a liking for our boat and spent quite a bit of time near us.  A Momma and baby whale from L-Pod came by and gave us a close look at Junior... and then did a breach close enough that guests could have gotten wet from the splash.  And nice height on that breach, too, since I could just about look into her eyes from the flybridge.

I got a call from one of the other whale watch boats right after that breach: "Nice position, (boat name)!"

I came back with, "Did anyone on your boat get a shot of that?  I would LOVE to have a copy of that!"

"If they did, I'll get an e-mail address for you."

We saw the "trifecta" of Orcas (lots), Stellar Sea Lions, and bald eagles.  The guests were very pleased.  Mother Nature blessed us with a beautiful day, upper 60s on the temp, blue sky, and not much wind.  Haro Strait was nearly calm.  If not the absolute best day of the season, it was in the top 3.  I have two work days left, and this is going to be hard to beat.

My Honey had the day off, and made sure I had 3 home-cooked (boat-cooked?) meals, including prime rib and mashed potatoes for supper.  I have tomorrow off... she's not counting on me cooking anything, but I will bring her lunch. ;-)

Oh, and live music at the park by the marina this evening; the Rhythematics (R&B) - great listening from our cockpit.

After tomorrow, we both have 2 days of work remaining.

The weather prediction is looking good for the next 10 days!  Yep, what a day! :-)


No comments: