Thursday, September 13, 2012

Didn't have to go far...

While heading to the dock to check in with Canadian Customs, the large sailboat in front of us approached the dock, then backed off suddenly.  As it cleared the dock, we could see a guy in the water being pulled out... yep, he fell in while trying to get lines for the sailboat.  Nothing we could do to help, so we backed off to give the boat plenty of room.

The wind was howling, blowing down and off the dock.  It took some time to put Wild Blue's bow up to the dock so Joan could step off and give me a line to rotate on.  Our arrival was non-eventful.  When the sailboat came around to the other side of the dock, I grabbed a spring line... not much to do, really, because the wind was blowing the boat onto the dock.

I walked up to the Customs Office, visited with a guy in that office, who then told me to go outside and clear in via the phone.  OK.  I guess it's been a long season... usually these Canadian Customs folks are pretty friendly.  The lady on the phone was kinda curt, but cleared us in without being inspected.

We called across to the marina when I got back to the boat, and got a slip for the night.  No doubt, the PNW C-Brat folks know where we are...


We walked up the dock to the pool area.  Ah, yes, a hot tub - this is why we're here...






It has been months since I've had the pleasure of a nice hot soak.  Plenty of chlorine (unlike our jacuzzi tub at home), but I was glad for that when a couple brought their two small kids into the hot tub.  Fortunately, they didn't stay too long.  When Joan got out, I visited with a guy who lives here... he is a pilot for Canadair Airlines.  He works every other week and commutes off this place to Vancouver.  He asked what we do for a living... when I told him what we had done for the summer, he said, "That sounds like a good way to go.  Especially living down south during the winter - winters here are pretty tough."  Yeah, that's what we experienced.

But, the 10 day forecast looks pretty good.  We're thinking we'll head to Ganges next to take in the Saturday Market.  I'm thinking Desolation Sound isn't going to be in the cards.  I really like not having any schedule. :-)


No comments: