Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Back in the water...

I did some cleaning on Wild Blue's hull this morning, we unloaded a few more things, then it was time for her to go back in the water.

Well, one more task first: I had sent a note to BoatUS, letting them know about our great experience with their Trailer Assist when we had a blow out on the trailer tire while crossing New Mexico.  I received a nice return note and a request for a photo and asking our permission to use the letter for their promotion.  So, we took a few seconds to get a photo of us with the boat on the trailer before putting her back in the water...


The launch went easy; we have our "system" down.  There is a ramp here on our island; we ride together to the ramp, I back the boat/trailer down while Joan opens the gate to the ramp.  She takes the bow and stern line in hand before the boat goes in the water, then we walk the boat back off the trailer.  With the boat tied off, she pulls the trailer out and gives it a fresh water flush while I put the motor down, start the boat up, get antennas up, and generally get ready to go.  I take the boat around to the house while she pulls the truck/trailer to the house.  Boat tied off at our dock, then we take the trailer to storage.


A bit more work to do to get settled in.

A friend of ours needs a photo to promote cancer awareness.  His wife has lost her hair due to the chemo-therapy; he shaved his head in support.  I wish I could say the prognosis is good.  Even though I am out of the photography business, I'll be doing a family portrait session for them late this afternoon... the moving-in work will wait.


4 comments:

Bill K said...

Jim,
Do the kayak's effect your radar?

Bill Kelleher

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Bill,

No issue with the kayaks interfering with the radar. The summer we were on the Erie Canal, we had our folding bikes strapped on the radar arch - no problem with that, either. I had some concerns with all that metal close with the bikes, but the radar worked fine; not much metal on the kayaks.

Bill K said...

Thanks for the answer Jim.

If I can sell my big boat I may have more questions for you as I have read your blog all the way through and am interested in a CD 25 or maybe a 22.

My help is moving out of state and the Bertram is just to much boat for just me.

Thanks again

Bill Kelleher

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Hi Bill,

Whenever we are traveling with the boat, it seems to get a lot of interest from bigger boat owners. Being able to move the boat to different cruising areas is a big plus... less "elbow room" is something that only you can determine if it will work for you. Check out the C-Brats forum (www.c-brats.com) to get a world of great information about C-Dorys. Our cruising thread on there pre-dates this blog.

Best wishes,
Jim