Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Raising my blood pressure...

I have been told I have "white coat syndrome": when you are in a doctor's office, your blood pressure rises.  We take our blood pressure at home, so we know where it should be.

It was time for the physical to renew the license.  The clinic in our town is not on my list of favorite places to visit.  This was no different: a few coughing, snot-dripping people in the waiting room.  One guy who seemed to have the bubonic plague and syphilis started heading towards where I was sitting, even though there were a bunch of other unoccupied chairs.  I put my paperwork on the chair next to me - he sat in the chair next to that.

This place makes you pay before they see you.  Then you sit.  Even though "we're not that busy," you sit.  After you have sat for the required time, they move you into another room where you get to sit some more.  Two and a half hours worth.  Then, the exam...

They did the eye test in a dimly lit hallway.  I questioned them regarding the bad light.  Hey, I dealt with lighting most of my life in the photography business.  I passed, but I had to squint.  The PA asked about some of my scars, checked me for muscle tone and flexibility.  My blood pressure was a little higher than my normal... no shit, Shakespeare; sitting in a petri dish of interesting new diseases... that's the problem with going to the doctor: there's always a bunch of sick people around there!  And all of 'em seem to be listening to Carpenter songs: "Just like me, they want to be, close to you..."  Coughing and wheezing.

They signed me off, good to go.  No surprise, I was the healthiest one in there.


No comments: