Wednesday, December 5, 2012

One task per day...

Nice thing about being retired: you sent your own goals and expectations.  In order to have enough "play time," Joan has set our goal as "one task per day."  I'm thinking she came up with a compromise, since there have been days where all I want to do is play. ;-)

Yesterday, I cleaned the squished bugs off the 5th wheel (a LOT of front end) while Joan did about 6 loads of laundry.  We prepped the 5th wheel for going back into storage.  (This was after gathering paperwork for my license... I think that counts as two tasks.)

Today, after breakfast, she got a private concert.  When I asked what the "task for the day would be," she said, "Getting the 5th wheel back into storage."

Easy enough.  Just before the crack of noon, we hooked the HitchHiker up to the truck and headed for the storage lot.  Putting it back into its "slip" was easy enough, since the RV on our port side was also out...


We take care when putting it away, with insulated window covers, plenty of Damp-Rid, and Bounce sheets spread around the interior.  Blocked up and locked up, we said good-bye to the Love Shack and headed home.

"Any other tasks?  It's early; I can get the exhaust fan and cable TV inlet put in the boat."

"No, that will be tomorrow's task, but we do need to do some grocery shopping."

Also, easy - I drive the cart and try to sneak in sweets without being caught.  Even that wasn't necessary today... Joan asked, "Do you want some Russel Stover chocolate Santas?"

"Am I at the top of the Naughty List?  Damn right I do!"  She put a package of them in the cart and said, "It's an 8 pack - that should last you until Christmas."

"Right - it'll be a Christmas miracle if it lasts until Saturday!"  I have always felt that chocolate is one of the 4 basic food groups.  (Pizza, a juicy burger, and rum, if you're keeping track of the other 3)

It was close to 3:00 when we rolled up to the swing bridge to get on our island... the bridge was out; a tug was pushing a petroleum barge through.  While waiting for the bridge to close again, Joan asked, "Do you want to take me for a boat ride?"

"That's like asking me if I want chocolate."  We unloaded the groceries, then I went out to get the boat ready.  Doesn't take much: take off the window covers, unplug the power, put the motor down, and fire it up.  It is SO nice having the boat ready to go on a whim.

"Any destination?" I asked.

"No, we don't have to go look for dolphins or head anywhere in particular.  It's been over a week, and I just thought we needed some boat time."

That plan changed when I saw some dolphins ahead of us in the ship channel.  "They are coming to see us," I said as I pointed out the dolphins making a bee-line for Wild Blue.

"Well, we should probably watch for a while."  Flexibility is important.  "I don't want to have to shoot photos, though," she said.

"No problemo - I may take a shot or two myself, though," I told her...




We were the only boat in sight, and I guess they were looking for someone to play with.  When we headed for home, Joan said, "I get hoarse when we're out on the boat."

"Why?  This boat is really quiet."

"All the hooting and hollering I do with the dolphins!"  Yes, they really do seem to react to the enthusiasm.

As we turned into our canal, Joan asked, "Do you want to get the motorcycle out?"

"Really?  It's going to be dark soon."  (I've only had the bike out once since we've been home.)

"No, not really.  But, if you did, you could have played with the RV, the boat, and the motorcycle all in the same day."

The woman knows me.  ;-)


2 comments:

Label Me If You Wish said...

Jim - as I read the above Joan as set "OUR goal as "one task per day." E.g. if she does laundry, that should count as one goal for the both of you.

Captain Jim and the Blonde said...

Yeah, I'll run that by her... or, not. She does not have to handle the duties of playing guitar, keeping up on internet forums, and watching Izzy watching pelicans fly over our canal... she has time for more than one chore. It is best to not mess with that regimen. ;-)